Chapter Three

Gwen's first day at the Weasley's wasn't as overwhelming as she had expected it to be when she first learned she would be coming here

Gwen's first day at the Weasley's wasn't as overwhelming as she had expected it to be when she first learned she would be coming here. Yes, they were a large and outgoing group, something she was usually slightly uncomfortable with, but it ended up being more fun than anything. Liv and Oliver had made a point of including her in conversations while George had even started up some small conversations between just the two of them when he had noticed her getting slightly overwhelmed with all the commotion at the big family dining table during dinner.

But now Gwen sat at that table alone. It was the middle of the night and she was convinced everyone was asleep when she woke up from her dreamless sleep. Finding herself slightly parched she had made her way downstairs to grab a glass of water. However, once she did, the copy of that day's print of the Prophet managed to catch her attention. Arthur must've left it there once he had finished reading through the day's news and remembering her mother's reaction to it, Gwen was unable to resist unfolding it and reading the front page.

Reading about Sirius Black and his escape from Azkaban made Gwen wonder why this would upset her mother so much. Gwen knew she and her dads had fought in the war all those years ago. Did that mean they knew Sirius Black? Reading about all of the things he had done, killing all those Muggles and his loyalty to You Know Who; it made Gwen start to understand why her mother was so eager to send Oliver and her away.

"Gwen?" A whisper from the entrance to the kitchen made Gwen jump in her seat, dropping the newspaper to the ground in the process as she spun in her seat to meet the pair of hazel coloured eyes that were sending her a questioning look.

"George, I'm sorry, did I wake you? I was trying to be quiet." Gwen quickly started apologizing as she kneeled down to the ground to gather the sprawled papers of the Prophet which had all gotten unorganized once the paper fell from her hands.

"No, no, you didn't, don't worry." George quickly interrupted her with his reassuring words as he rushed over to help her with the paper. "But are you okay? What are you doing up so late?" He asked as they stood back up and set the paper onto the table. Needing something to keep busy, Gwen started to organize it back into its original order as she replied.

"I was thirsty and when I came down I saw the paper. I was just curious, my mum... She didn't have the best reaction to it, but she hid it from us so I wanted to see what it was that made her upset..." Gwen explained as her hand rested on the front page, showing the moving picture of Sirius Black. The anger in his eyes was scary and he looked like a mad man.

"She knew him?" George asked, looking down at the page as well as he came to stand next to her. As her eyes remained glued to the page, Gwen didn't even notice how close he stood, but George did, and he did his best not to get distracted by their proximity.

"I don't know. My mum, she..." Gwen started to say, her voice thoughtful as she thought about all the stories her mother told her throughout her life, realizing none of them ever spoke of the war.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." George took her pause as a sign of her not wanting to talk about it, at least not to him. He didn't want to pressure her to do so.

"No, it's okay. My mum never talks about the war, I just realized that. Neither do my dads." Gwen explained, her eyes turning up so she could look at George as she spoke. "Even when they tell me stories about my parents, it's mostly about their times in Hogwarts, or the happy times they shared with me." She said with a sad tone making George give her a sympathetic look.

He himself had heard some stories about Eliza and Adam Bennett. Mostly from his mother who seemed to hold great admiration for the two, George never really understood why exactly that was. But then again, he had never really asked for her reasons either.

"I understand that it's hard for them, I can't imagine what they went through. I wish there was something I could do." Gwen mumbled, playing with the hem of her sleeve as she looked away from him once she realized he was so close to her. However, the thought of moving away didn't cross her mind.

"From what I know about your mum, and I know a lot," George began in a comforting voice. While he wasn't that close with Gwen, he was best friends with Oliver who never shut up about his mother. He unapologetically showed how much of a mummy's boy he was and how much he loved her. "She's strong. Whatever it is about this Sirius Black bloke that upset her, she'll be okay."

Gwen looked up at him again, this time a thankful smile on her face as she listened to his words. The sight made George grin as well, not only because he was happy to have cheered her up, but also because it was one of the biggest smiles she had ever given him. He had seen her smiling before of course, laughing at something Oli would say, or whenever she cheered on Diggory during Hufflepuff Quidditch Matches, but never had he seen her smile like that at him.

"Thank you George." She said gently. Whenever Gwen thought of her brother's best friends, she had believed them to be two jokesters and pranksters who avoided being serious at all costs, but in the last year, George had managed to dispel some of those opinions as he showed her a side of him that she never knew was there. A caring and gentle side that at first surprised Gwen, but now, she was finding herself to be quite fond of that side of the Weasley boy.

"Come on, we should get back to bed. Busy day tomorrow." George said, his words reminding Gwen that all of their Hogwarts letters should be arriving the next day. Molly had already said they would be going to Diagon Alley as soon as possible to get all of their things. With such a large group to take, neither Arthur nor Molly wanted to leave it to the last second.

With a small nod, Gwen returned the glass of water to the sink before following up the stairs after George. She made her way to the door of Ginny's room silently, not wanting to wake up anyone else. She suspected that she did actually wake George, but he was too nice to say it.

With her hand on the handle, Gwen took a moment before opening the door, her eyes glancing to her left where a little bit down the hall, George stood the same way she did; ready to enter his own room, but taking one last glance at her.

"Good night Gwen." He whispered quietly, a smile on his face.

"Good night George." She sent him a smile of her own one last time before entering the room and closing the door behind her, ready to go to sleep as her conversation with him had managed to ease some of her nerves. He seemed to be doing that for her a lot lately.