Chapter Sixty

"George, are we even allowed to be out here?" Gwen questioned, a small laugh escaping her as the two of them continued along the cobbled path leading away from the castle, the shine of the moon and castle behind them lighting their way as he conti...

"George, are we even allowed to be out here?" Gwen questioned, a small laugh escaping her as the two of them continued along the cobbled path leading away from the castle, the shine of the moon and castle behind them lighting their way as he continued to hold onto her hand as they walked.

"Probably not." He announced, making Gwen let out another laugh as she shook her head at him before pulling the edges of his coat closer around her shoulders. Perhaps, once upon a time, she would have tried to suggest they then head back to the castle. However, she was having too much fun to even think of such a thing in that moment.

"Are you really not going to tell me anything? Even what's inside the basket?" She questioned, looking up at him with a small pout on her face. And, in that moment, George nearly spilled the beans. All it took was that one look. But luckily, he managed to gather his wits just in time.

"Nope." He announced proudly, making Gwen let out a small groan as she let her eyes return to the path in front of her. "Come on, we're close." His announcement, had her looking back up, curiously observing her surroundings until she finally saw a notable location in the distance.

"The Black Lake?" She asked curiously, unsure of what exactly he planned for them to do over there in the middle of the night. "George, was I that terrible of a date that you're about to feed me to the Giant Squid?" She asked in a joking tone, his laugh echoing through the empty area as he rushed forward and ahead of her.

Once he stopped and turned to her, Gwen did as well, standing a few feet away from him as she continued to send the Weasley a highly intrigued look. "Do you remember the first time I took you up to the classroom," George started to speak, Gwen knowing well which one he was referring to even if they didn't have a specific name for it. "And we were looking at the Lake and you said you always wished you could ice-skate on it during winter?"

"Yes?" Gwen said. She did have a vague memory of such a comment, or perhaps not the moment she'd said it itself, but she knew she must've considering it was a statement she made quite often. However, her confirmation sounding more like a question wasn't because of that, but rather because she wasn't sure what that had to do with anything.

"Well, now you get to do it." George announced as he pulled his wand from the basket in his hands, waving it through the air and leaving Gwen to watch as a circle of candles lit up the extensive circle which they created on the ice.

"How did you..." Gwen gasped out in surprise, unsure of what it was even that she wanted to ask first. How did he make the Lake (or at least the part of it in front of them) freeze over when just last night it wasn't like that? How did he manage to set all of this up without anyone finding out? Or even the simple: how did he manage to get her skates which she could see lying on the edges of the shore but should have been stored in the basement of her home.

"A little planning, a little help, a few tricks." George said with a simple shrug of his shoulders as if it had been no trouble at all when in fact he, Fred and Oliver had quite a lot of sneaking around to do the night before in an attempt to get it all done. "And some friendly house elves." He added as he set the basket he'd been carrying down on the ground and pulled out some cups and a bottle of something Gwen couldn't recognize from a distance.