Chapter Twenty Three

Gwen had her nose completely stuck in her notes from Potions class, reading all about the lessons they'd covered so far in their fifth year

Gwen had her nose completely stuck in her notes from Potions class, reading all about the lessons they'd covered so far in their fifth year. The truth was, she was quite good at Potions, so the things she was reading at the moment, she already knew most of it. However, those notes were the first thing she managed to get her hands on in her bag as she looked for a distraction.

For some unknown reason, from the moment she woke up and started her day, people had been staring at her wherever she went. The Hufflepuff common room, the halls, and more than anywhere else, in the Great Hall. Eyes followed her on every turn, and most often were paired with whispers and mumbles that Gwen couldn't quite interpret or hear. She wondered whether it was a blessing or a curse that she couldn't.

"Okay, what in Merlin's name did you do?" Olivia leaned closer to Gwen in her seat beside her at the Hufflepuff table, Cedric's own inquisitive eyes staring at her from across the table.

"I don't know. I didn't do anything." Gwen silently replied, not wanting to catch the attention of anyone around them as she spoke. She hated everyone looking at her. Nobody ever looked at her or paid much attention to her before. It was the way Gwen liked it. True, some students were always interested in her family, and often Ravenclaws had questions about the research she'd done, but quickly people learned to go to Oli with their questions. And everyone left Gwen alone. But not anymore it would seem.

"Well you obviously did something." Cedric pointed out, knowing this amount of attention was unusual for anyone in the school. Yes, there was always gossip and rumours being discussed, but never on this level.

"I don't know what I did before, but what I'll do now is head to class. At least there's less eyes over there." Gwen announced, hoping the incessant staring and whispering would decrease once she was surrounded by less people.

"You want me to come with you?" Cedric asked, even though he wasn't finished with his breakfast just yet.

"No, I might-" Gwen started to reply but was suddenly cut off as another voice sounded quite close to them. All three turned towards a fuming Oliver as he rambled on while approaching his sister.

"Have you seen this? That vile, opportunistic, power-grabbing cow really can't keep her mouth shut. And she calls herself a reporter while doing it, as if that's an excuse!" It didn't take much to see Oliver was angry. Even if he'd stayed silent as he approached, it was showing all across his face.

"What are you talking about? Who? And what exactly have they done?" Olivia questioned, never really having seen Oli this angry before. Gwen on the other hand found herself taking the paper Oliver held in his hands, and as she glanced down at it, things suddenly made much more sense.

WHO IS HELPING BLACK?

It's been more than half a year since known Death Eater and mass murderer Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban Prison, and since then, the Ministry and its Auror Office doesn't seem to have any luck in bringing him back to justice. It's time to ask what the Aurors hunting for Black are doing wrong.

Many suspect Black is receiving help from someone. After last month's break in at Hogwarts, many eyes have turned to those working within the school, but perhaps we should be focused on searching closer to what Black would call home. So why isn't more pressure placed on none other than Sirius Black's wife, who, even after twelve years in Azkaban, he is still married to.

After asking around, it's come to my attention that many aren't even aware that this vile man is married, much less do people know the identity of this woman. That is what being in a position of power and keeping your maiden name will help you hide. But as a journalist and reporter, it is my duty to enlighten the readers of our esteemed paper and allow them to see the truth.

The wife of Sirius Black has infiltrated one of the highest positions of power in our community, and perhaps that power and respect is exactly what has allowed her to help him hide and evade capture for all this time. But it's time for that to end, and for this person to be exposed for who they really are.

Married in a private ceremony in February of 1980, Sirius Black and Nadia Konstantinova Volkov, our current Head of St Mungo's, have been married for fourteen years now. Why is it that this woman is beyond suspicion for being an accomplice to Black's criminal activity, both current and past.

Isn't it time for the Aurors and the Ministry to take action and take away the privileges that allow this woman to continue her trespass of the law and bring to an end whatever horrors she may be helping Black cause to this day? Isn't it time to make the British people feel safe again with both monsters behind bars?

We cannot be blinded by the facade we see, that of a healer and a mother, but instead we must protect everyone, especially those closest to Nadia Volkov before it's too late. Before those under her influence, those such as her children, go down the same dark path. If they haven't already.
(Continued on page 4)

Gwen didn't care much for going to page 4. What she had read on the front page of the Daily Prophet was already enough, the words of Rita Skeeter made every stare and whisper of that morning finally make sense.

"That Skeeter woman is just doing what she always does. I doubt many people will focus on it or think it's true." Aurora spoke. She had come over after Oliver, along with Fred and George who had been there to see him when he got his hands on the paper.

"Rory's right, everyone loves your mum." Liv placed a reassuring hand on Gwen's shoulder. Liv had quickly come to know just how much people liked Nadia Volkov in the Wizarding World. There were books solely focused on her work, their teachers often mentioned her in class, and the Nadia Volkov chocolate card was one of the most coveted among the students.

"I'm going to head to class." Gwen finally broke her silence, but instead of commenting on the paper, instead of cursing the name Rita Skeeter, she simply remained calm and composed, something none of them had expected. The surprise of it lasted long enough for her to push past them and make her way out of the Great Hall before any of them could stop her.

And while Gwen didn't show she'd felt any emotion because of the article, on the inside she was feeling quite a bit. But most of all, she was angry, angry that all these secrets were coming to light and none of them were told to her by the person at the centre of it all. In her mind, it was time for it to stop. But she couldn't even imagine how soon that would be possible.