Chapter Twenty Four

When she had left the Great Hall, Gwen completely forgot she was still holding on to the copy of the Daily Prophet that Oliver had given her

When she had left the Great Hall, Gwen completely forgot she was still holding on to the copy of the Daily Prophet that Oliver had given her. Despite her reasoning side telling her not to, she couldn't resist but look back to it and read through everything Rita Skeeter had written.

 Despite her reasoning side telling her not to, she couldn't resist but look back to it and read through everything Rita Skeeter had written

She had even read the continuation on page four. Gwen had to be honest, if it weren't for the fact that the woman couldn't write an objective and truthful article, she was good. Skeeter had managed to track down people who had known her mother and Sirius, she had managed to find pictures of them as teens, and even make a vague timeline of their relationship. And Gwen wished she hadn't read it.

She didn't know what to think as she walked towards her first class of the day. How in the world could her mother never mention any of this? Gwen didn't even know how much of it was true, and what was made up by Rita Skeeter? After all, she was sure her mother couldn't possibly be helping Sirius Black evade capture, and keeping secrets which could lead to his capture.

"You think you're so high and mighty? Big Hogwarts professor and that makes you special? You're not special. You just got lucky Dumbledore took pity on you. But you're still the same slimy, rotten person as you were all those years ago, Snivellus."

When Gwen first left the Great Hall, she doubted her morning could get any worse. But somehow, life always had a way of throwing twists and turns your way. And for a moment, Gwen thought this one was a figment of her imagination. After all, the familiar voice wasn't supposed to be heard in the halls of Hogwarts at this time. However, as she rounded a corner and came upon the transpiring scene, she was proven wrong.

"Mum?" Her question came out before she could stop herself and think about it, making both her potions professor and her mother turn to her. Nadia's eyes widening as she spotted Gwen standing right behind her.

"Gwen? Shouldn't you be at breakfast?" Nadia asked in surprise, looking over her daughter to check whether there were any signs of something being wrong. She didn't look sick or hurt, but Nadia's heart still skipped a beat. Once she saw the copy of today's Prophet in her hands, Nadia suspected this wouldn't turn out good.

"All the stares and whispers were getting annoying." Gwen said, her tone harsh and surprising Nadia as she had never heard it before. Not that she didn't deserve it. "But since I left early, I can take the long way to class. Please, don't let me interrupt another one of your secretive conversations."