Chapter Ten

In the weeks she has been a Prefect, Gwen was suddenly becoming aware of how many rules she broke on a regular basis

In the weeks she has been a Prefect, Gwen was suddenly becoming aware of how many rules she broke on a regular basis. Before she had never really thought about it, only becoming aware of it after she had gone over every little one before the start of term so she would be ready for her duties. But despite her newly informed state of mind, Gwen didn't really care at the moment. So what if she wasn't supposed to know the Gryffindor password or go to the boys dormitories? Right now, she had other priorities on her mind and so her fist knocked on the familiar door without hesitation.

"Come in." The voice called from the inside, and Gwen quickly pushed the door open, her eyes landing on the red head on his bed to which she rushed over after closing the door. Jumping into the spot beside her brother, Gwen shamelessly pulled on the covers, making herself warm and cosy before she fully turned to him once Oliver spoke up, a small smile on his face while he watched her. "Not that I mind the visit, but what are you doing here?"

With the last class of the day being their Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson with Remus, Oliver had soon after retreated to him dorm room. Gwen could certainly understand why. It was the day in which they revised about Boggarts in class, and Gwen felt the need to talk to him about it as it had made her realize something she hadn't been aware of until this point.

"I wanted to talk to you about class, and about the Boggart." Gwen explained, her tone gentle as she broached the subject. She didn't want him to feel as if she were pressuring him into talking about it, but Gwen also felt the need to let him know that he could. Oliver barely spoke about last year, always brushing it off and saying it was in the past or cracking jokes about it, but today's class made her doubt the sense of ease he portrayed when questioned about the topic.

"I'm sorry I lied." Oliver let out a heavy sigh, knowing he had been caught but the words made Gwen quickly shake her head at him. Reaching for his hand, she spoke before he could go on or make himself feel any guiltier about it.

"I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention, try to see past it. But why did you lie? You know you can always tell me anything." Gwen tried to reassure him. She knew that she might not be able to understand him fully, she wasn't a Muggleborn. Still, she wanted to be there for her brother in the best way she could.

"I know, I just didn't want you to worry about me. I knew you would and there's no reason really. I mean, the Basilisk is dead, there's nothing to be scared of anymore." Oliver explained, his tone making it sound as if he was scolding himself for what he deemed an irrational fear. Because that is what his Boggart took the form of; the Basilisk which had petrified him last year.

"It's okay to still be scared. What happened last year wasn't something anyone could just brush off Oli, no matter how strong they are. So you being scared of the Basilisk, doesn't make you weak or cowardly." Gwen pulled her hand from his and chose to wrap her arms around him instead. Oliver couldn't hold back a small smile as he hugged his sister back. He knew that as long as she was by his side, everything would be alright. Gwen was always there for him, ready to do anything for her brother. But Oliver also knew how much last year had scared her too, and so he didn't tell her about his own fears. He wanted Gwen to just be happy, not to be a cause for her worry or stress. Thinking about it, made Oliver ask what he did next.

"Why did you choose not to do it?"

Knowing that some students felt uncomfortable exposing or facing their fears in front of the whole class, that some of them might not be ready to go up against whatever it is they were afraid of, Remus had given everyone a choice on whether they actually wanted to participate. Gwen was one of those to back out of the idea, and Oliver couldn't help but wonder why.

"I know what my fear is, and to be honest, I don't want to face it if I don't have to." Gwen's voice was now much more quiet and timid. Oliver was always perceptive to this change, whether it happened in a crowd in a moment of shyness or self-consciousness, or whether she was speaking of something that troubled her, Oli always saw the changes in his sister. And hearing it now, made Oliver pull out of the hug and turn in his spot so he could look straight at her.

"You can tell me too." He said, just in case she needed to hear it. Of course he was curious, but the way she worded it also made him want to know in case he could help. Maybe facing a Boggart wasn't the best way to conquer her fear, but there could be something else.

"I'm scared of disappointing you and losing you. And mum, and dad, and papa. I guess you could just say I'm scared of being alone. Because I know it's what could have happened." Gwen explained, her hands fiddling with the covers as she spoke. Oliver wasn't surprised by her admission, but it still made him feel a small pang in his heart. In her own way, Gwen depended on her family; always wanting to make their parents proud or make Oliver happy, fearing what may happen if she didn't.

"Gwen, no matter what you do you'll never lose me. And the same goes for mum, and dads. We love you, you know that." Oliver grasped her hands tightly wanting more than anything to reassure her. Never before had he thought how much such ideas may bother her.

"But what if-" Gwen started again, blinking in an attempt to dispel some of the tears which pooled in her eyes despite her attempts to resist them.

"No, no what if. You're my sister Gwen Bennett Song. We may not share blood, or the same name, but that changes nothing. You are my sister and I love you." Oliver's firm voice made it clear that there was no room for 'What if's, questions or doubts. If there was one thing he was certain of it was that.

"I love you too." Gwen whispered, letting Oli believe in his victory as she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him into yet another hug, this one for her own benefit.

"Did you see the way his-" The sound of the door opening to reveal three laughing figures made Gwen and Oliver pull apart, their eyes turning to look at the group that had entered the room. Fred, George and Lee quieted down once they noticed Gwen was there. It wasn't too unusual to see her in their dorm room as she often spent her time there with Oliver, but it was always a bit of a surprise.

"Are you guys okay?" George was the first to notice that they might've just walked in on an important moment between the siblings. And the sight of Gwen's slightly red eyes didn't sit well with him either.

"We are." Oli said, a small smile on his face as he looked at the dark haired girl beside him. Gwen returned the smile, leaning her head on his shoulder as she gave a small nod to confirm his words. With his arm remaining around her shoulders, Oliver turned back to his dorm mates. "So... You going to share what trouble you caused this time or still to scared to speak in the presence of an all-powerful Prefect?"

"Nope, not at all." Fred announced, rushing over and jumping up onto the bed with them, the devious smile on his face paired with his actions making both of them laugh, which only continued as he dove into the story. "So we went down to the dungeons, near the Slytherin common room..."