Chapter 4

Within a moon of making the decision to accept King Bran's appointment as Lord Commander of his Kingsguard, Brienne found herself awakening within the expanse of her new quarters in the White Sword Tower of the Red Keep. She and Galladon were quickly settling into their new life in Kings Landing. The tower that housed the guard had been partially rebuilt after the destruction waged by Daenarys Targaryen's dragon. One entire side of the ancient structure had been almost completely obliterated. The Lord Commander's apartments had sustained the worst of the damage, and required the most extensive repairs. Holding Galladon close to her as she surveyed the chambers, Brienne was thankful she would not need to take up residence within the rooms that had actually belonged to Jaime when he held the position. She had forced herself not to dwell upon the knowledge that the Red Keep was where he died. Living with his son, in the very rooms once occupied by him would have been too much to bear. She could not even bring herself to walk near the stairway that led to the lower foundations in the main part of the castle. She doubted she would ever have the courage to look upon place he had been killed.

'Killed holding Cersei in his arms.' Brienne sighed to herself in disgust. She imagined his calm fulfillment in that moment, undoubtedly relieved that it was not her to whom he was pledging his life. She rolled her eyes at her own thoughts. 'Assuredly, you were the farthest thing from his mind, Beauty of Tarth.' She told herself bitterly.

As if sensing his mother's distraction, Galladon wriggled in her arms, and began to whine to break his fast. Brought back to her child's present need, Brienne gasped. She had not realized the hours had passed so quickly. Without delay, she seated herself on the bed. Her new armor was still being wrought, and she wore only her gray leather gambeson, which made slipping herself from its confines much easier. Brienne soon found herself soothed like her infant as the boy settled against her and nursed contentedly. She was quite surprised that here in this bustling place, beginning a whole new chapter in their lives, with so much new and exciting, that together they fell into their same comforting patterns. So much had changed, yet Galladon was her constant source of peace and happiness.

Queen Sansa had seen to it that they travel to Kings Landing with no less than a garrison of men to accompany them, including Ser Podrick. Sansa had insisted that the troops were being to sent to bolster Bran's army in King's Landing. However, Brienne could tell that their presence along her journey was to ensure the safety of a new mother and her child from the dangers of the highway. It was a precaution for which Brienne would be eternally beholden to The Queen in the North. She could easily fight off even a group of ill-intentioned outlaws. However, with a babe in tow, she was glad she had not needed to. A smile brightened her face at the thought of The Queen in the North. Brienne realized that the grin which danced upon her lips was also because of the excitement of a new beginning.

Galladon stirred as Brienne gazed at him. He had finished from her, and was looking up into her face with a delightful smile. She bent her neck to nuzzle his nose, and lost herself imagining the future they would share as her little boy grew. Her joyous loving laughter rang through the Lord Commander's chambers. Brienne tightened her gambeson once more, and without realizing, she began softly singing a sweet lullaby with which her father had serenaded her as a child.

Mother and babe strolled out upon the terrace, a new and lavish feature of the refurbished chamber. The stone balcony overlooked the training yard, and was meant to be used to review the troops when the Lord Commander was otherwise occupied with duties. It promised, however, to be a personal retreat for the new commandant and her child.

Brienne walked with Galladon into the warm morning sunshine. She halted halfway toward the railing, the familiar aroma of salt air playing with her senses. She breathed deeply and peered thoughtfully at her surroundings. Upon her face, Brienne wore a look of satisfied anticipation.