Chapter 17

The next days saw Jaime and Brienne occupied with their duties and finding little time for the rituals of the tenuous courtship they had begun. There had been no further reports from Tyrion's agents, and the Essosi threat was growing more ominous by the day. The atmosphere within the Red Keep was dire and tense. Between the continuous training of troops and preparations for defense, The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard and the Master of War were forced to confine attempts at healing their relationship to amorous stares and longing tones in passing. Although both wished for a moment to lose themselves in another passionate kiss, they were determined to ensure the safety if the Realm, the King, their son, and each other.

It was the safety of her infant son that weighed constantly upon Brienne's mind. Even over the ever present hope of finding herself alone with Jaime once again, the fear and worry of how she would keep her child from harm should foreign forces attack would seize her heart and leave her nearly incapacitated. Brienne tried to reassure herself that the entire Westersi naval fleet were on constant guard for the threat of invasion. If the Essosi did make an attempt upon the Capital there was every reasn to believe that word would be received far enugh in advance to shepherd Galladn to safety. At least that was what Brienne hoped.

It was that thought which troubled Brienne's mind as she went in search of Jaime during the morning hours as the Red Keep was just beginning to stir for the day. They could no longer avoid discussing preparations to keep their child protected. She had already gone to his solar hoping to find him immersed in the mountain of scrolls and parchment which seemed to endlessly accumulate upon his work table. Disappointment and frustration settled upon her at finding he was not there.

Determined, Brienne made her way next to the Tower of The Hand certain that she would find Jaime there in the company of his brother. When she arrived, she found the door to Lord Tyrion's solar slightly ajar but no sound emanated from the room. Hoping that The Hand of the King might know where Jaime could be found, she knocked politely on the thick aged oak.

"Enter." Tyrion's voice answered her signal from within.

Brienne pushed the door aside gently and stepped into the room. As Tyrion looked up from his correspondence, she sighed discontentedly upon realizing that Jaime was not there. "Forgive me Lord Hand." She announced herself respectfully. "I thought perhaps I would find your brother here." Brienne explained.

"I am sorry, Lord Commander." Tyrion smiled understandingly. "I have not seen Jaime at all this morning." He informed Brienne.

She nodded her head quietly. "I apologize for the intrusion." Brienne lowered her chin, and turned to leave, unsure where she would search for Jaime next.

Tyrion laid his quill aside, and stood from his desk. "Ser Brienne." He called, halting her exit.

"I understand that the situation between you and Jaime has warmed a bit." Tyrion encouraged cheerfully as he moved a few paces closer. He knew he was overstepping his boundaries, but he was eager to be his brother's champion in the matter.

Brienne sighed and reddened with embarrassment. "He told you?" She asked shocked. Apparently the kiss she and Jaime had shared had become a topic for conversation.

Tyrion could tell his comment had struck a nerve. "I understand it is none of my business, but he has seemed a different man these past few days." Tyrion had not meant to upset Brienne and wanted to mend his blunder. "Truly, I would not dream of commenting on your personal affairs, however, it is good to see him smile again." Tyrion said thoughtfully. "I have not known him so happy since he was in the North." He remarked, remembering Jaime's hopes for a life that centered around Brienne.

Brienne found her dismay easing a bit as she realized that Tyrion's purpose was not to pry. She imagined that perhaps that was the way of things between brothers. She doubted that Jaime and Tyrion had many secrets between them. Brienne had no siblings in whom to confide, but hoped that if her brother and sisters had lived, she would have been just as close with them. She was glad that Jaime had that kinship with his brother. However, Tyrion's mention of the North brought the painful memory of Jaime's leaving closer to the surface than it had been since she found herself again in his arms. He read her pensive expression, immediately.