Chapter 26 & Epilogue

https://64

https://64.media.tumblr.com/7231dc2ef212575e1ce44c59fe314e9a/1d8d7954af8242be-76/s1280x1920/34607f39a138ba8869be19523ebab1dd9e1a6f49.jpg

Following the pageantry of their lavish wedding, life on Tarth settled into a peaceful dream for Jaime and Brienne. Their days were spent happily spoiling their son, and awaiting the birth of their second child. Their nights were spent in each other's arms. It seemed almost too good to be true. However, every morning as he would awaken, his wife's sweet smile would remind Jaime that all of it was indeed very real, and it was all he ever truly wanted. He would thank the Gods, taste Brienne's luscious lips, and go about his day happier than any man who had ever drawn the soft rich Westerosi air into his lungs.

King Bran and the Small Council passed another moon as guests of The Evenstar before word was received from Kings Landing that the Red Keep had been fully repaired and fortified, and was ready once again to be the shining fortress of the Realm it had always been, home to the Three-Eyed Raven and his trusted advisors. Lord Tyrion returned to the North with Queen Sansa where they were married in the Godswood at Winterfell. The couple had desperately wished for Jaime and Brienne to stand with them when they took their vows as they had done at Evenfall. However, with Brienne's condition precluding her traveling such a long distance, the Lannisters of Tarth forbid Tyrion and Sansa from postponing their nuptials, and promised to visit when all were healthy and ready.

So Evenfall bid farewell to it's royal patrons, and turned its attentions to more familial matters. Brienne began her apprenticeship with Lord Selwyn, learning the daily matters and occupations which were the responsibility of the leader of House Tarth. Jaime's time was enjoyed eagerly watching over Brienne, ensuring her safety, and seeing to her every need. He felt he knew, almost instinctively, whatever she desired before the words even left her lips.

Brienne swore that Jaime had not removed his hand from her swelling waistline since they had discovered she carried their second child. The exaggeration brought a loving smile to her face, and she realized that his excessive attentions to her were Jaime's attempt to make up for the time he had missed when she had brought their first son into the world. Brienne understood keenly from where Jaime's conscientiousness toward her sprang. He had not been with her when Galladon was born, and she knew he would never forgive himself. Whatever amount of loving care he would shower upon her and their children would never be enough to ease Jaime's mind. Brienne tried to reassure him that she had no doubts as to his love for them, yet still he endeavored to repay a debt to her that she did not ask of him. He devotedly watch over Brienne, anxious to see to her needs, ready to vanquish anything that might cause her distress, and desperate to prove himself to The Evenstar. Attentive and protective, Jaime soon became Brienne's shadow.

Jaime had taken to following Brienne's every step, all day long. He would jump to attention whenever she moved a muscle, attempting to predict whatever necessity she needed. Several times Brienne thanked him warmly and accepted whatever item of comfort he presented, although it had not been at all what she was seeking. She made due, and tried to not let her corrections appear too obvious. As the weeks passed Jaime took to forming a living shield around Brienne and her expanding belly. He would walk only inches from her, scooting sideways if necessary, his arms a diligent cushion held only inches from her body, once nearly knocking her over in the process. After steadying his wife upon her feet, and taking pains to ensure she was unharmed, Jaime waited in dread for the wrath that would have been visited upon him in his previous miserable life for such a blunder. His shock was evident when it was not an open handed slap that was sent in his direction, but an adoring gaze and the soft caress of his cheek. Although mildly annoyed at Jaime's constant overbearing scrutiny, Brienne found his anxious nervousness so adorable and endearing she could not reprimand his heartfelt efforts. So she graced him with caring smiles, held his palm to her rounded belly when their child would kick, and rewarded him with sweet kisses. Her reaction encouraged him to double his watch over her.