Chapter 18

Their declarations of love interrupted, Brienne and Jaime clung to each other and ran to the window just as another shower of blazing arrows sailed over the roof of the Keep. The peaceful calm that had promised to serenade their passionate reconciliation was shattered by the blasts of a surprise attack, and Galladon's screams of terror having been jolted from his sleep. From over the castle wall, each explosive bombardment illuminated a thick fog which concealed the enemy fleet anchored in Blackwater Bay. Although it was difficult to make out the low prows and bright triangular sails of the Essosi ships, a few could be seen close to the shore. The accounts which Tyrion had received from his spies had indeed been correct. An invasion force was laying siege to the Red Keep.

Brienne's chest heaved with alarm, as realization dawned. "Our scout vessels?" She gasped, her questioning stare turning to Jaime. "Tyrion assured us they would send word of an impending attack." She could not hide the fear in her voice.

Jaime's blood ran cold. "They must have destroyed every ship in our fleet." He replied chillingly.

As if to accompany his father's dire words, Galladon's shrill cry split the tense foreboding which filled the air. Brienne's anxious glare darted in the direction of her son's wailing, and then raced back to Jaime's own worried eyes, capturing them in her dread-filled stare. They had been so close to seeing their babe to safety. Now he was trapped, in the midst of a siege.

Pulling Brienne to her full height, Jaime stood and centered himself, ready for not only battle but to ensure the safety of those he loved. "Armor yourself." He ordered. "And bring our child." He bid Brienne commandingly.

Unconcerned with arguing rank at such a time, Brienne complied quickly. She rushed into her bedchamber to dress and gather Galladon. Jaime turned pensively back to the window as she left his side, studying the commotion unfolding below.

Breathlessly Brienne hurried to quiet Galladon in his cradle. She bent to calm him, laying a kiss upon his forehead, and speaking soft affirmations to him. Then for a moment, she studied her babe. Breath froze in her lungs, and tears came to her eyes. She did not know if these would be her last moments with him. She could not even now be certain any of them would live through the night. For the first time, she regretted ever accepting the commission as Lord Commander. Had it now cost her son's life?

Almost in answer, she heard Jaime's directive of only moments before. Somehow his presence in her mind stilled her worry. She could not believe that the Gods would have brought them through so much only to separate them now. She had to believe that The Seven would see them through this as well. Quickly, she pulled on trousers and tunic, and suited herself into her armor. In a flash of trepidation Brienne whirled around, searching frantically. Her mind tried in vain to remember where she had left the item for which she searched. Running to her wardrobe, she flung the door open and rifled through its contents, dumping half the garments to the floor.

At last, she pulled her blue dress tunic from the pile of garments within the large chest. Her eyes grew melancholy as she regarded the proud sigil of her own house stitched upon the thick woven fabric. She prayed the celestial bodies that had guarded House Tarth through the years would keep her child safe through the night. Without another moment of hesitatation, as The Keep was rocked by another blast, Brienne grabbed a dagger from within a drawer and used the weapon to tear the Sigil from the tunic. Slamming down the knife, she rushed back to Galladon and lifted the babe into her arms. Wrapping him in the warm quilt she had placed around his cradle to spend the night in warm comfortable slumber, she tucked the Sigil patch deep into the blanket. She hoped that someone would see him safely to her father if they became separated. It would at least identify him as being of House Tarth, should the worst happen. She swallowed the thought hard, and told herself it was merely for luck.