Chapter 14

"Did you ask her?" Jaime pulled Podrick to the side of the courtyard, a cooing happy Galladon nestled snuggly against him. It was nearly impossible for Jaime to hide the urgency of his expression. He had been pressing Pod to plead his case to Brienne for a fortnight.

Pod tried to disguise his frustration at being asked the same inquiry for the hundredth time. He exhaled loudly and shortly. "It's not exactly a topic one's former squire, now the King's Sworn Sword, broaches in polite conversation." He rolled his eyes. "Here is the King's itinerary for the next week, Ser Brienne, and by the way are you still in love with Ser Jaime?" He mocked.

Jaime raised his brow. "So perhaps in private and a bit more subtle, but yes, something like that." He offered indignantly.

Podrick shook his head, and returned Jaime's annoyed expression. "Ser Jaime." He regarded the elder knight in disbelief. "You of all people should know that she would see through such a falsehood in no time." Pod reminded him.

Jaime was silent for a moment, studying the ground. "Please, Podrick. I beg you." He urged desperately.

Podrick gave a defeated sigh. He understood that Ser Jaime loved The Lord Commander deeply. He had given her up to protect her. He had been willing to die for her, hoping his life would be the price for her safety. Now, that he found himself alive, he could not face the future without her. Although Ser Brienne would be the first to deny her emotions, Pod knew her heart belonged to Jaime Lannister. She loved him long before they battled by each other's side at Winterfell. His own heart broke for his mentor for the pain she had suffered at the loss of her love, as well as the happiness she now denied herself. He would do anything to see Ser Brienne truly reunited with Ser Jaime, yet he dreaded what her reaction would be.

Pod's head dropped in response to Jaime's appeal. "Very well." He agreed. "I shall ask her this evening." He promised.
——————————
The dusk settled over Kings Landing so soft and golden that it was easy to imagine the city had never known a moment of siege or terror. If one tried hard enough they could almost believe that destruction had never touched its ancient roofs and pathways. It was in the garden of the Red Keep that Ser Brienne of Tarth sat, relaxing in a hidden grotto with her small babe. Her secluded hide away was set into a distant corner of the vista. It was near the cliffs and secreted by a cover of leaves. Brienne could view the calm blue waters of the sea. She could hear the distance waves, and smell the salt air. It reminded her of Tarth, her island home. The lush, slightly overgrown, green display that surrounded her provided ample protection from prying eyes, and allowed her simply to be alone with her child.

Jaime knew where she would be. He had often watched Brienne walk toward the cultivated rows, their son held close to her, after he took his leave from them at the end of the day. Podrick met Jaime in the courtyard near the Tower of the Hand, and the two made their way to the garden path that led to Brienne's sanctuary. Jaime slowed his pace as they approached. Podrick had agreed to pose his query to Brienne, and for the first time, Jaime grew uncertain of her response. His chest felt like a bottomless cavern. Suddenly, he feared the answer he may receive. Podrick sensed Jaime's uneasiness.

"Are you well, Ser Jaime?" Pod questioned, watching the older man's brow furrow.

Jaime hardly heard him. "Yes." He answered stiffly, his thoughts turning dark. What would he do if Brienne denied him?

"We can still put a stop to this fool's errand." Pod offered, hopefully.

"No." Jaime protested. "I have to know." He tried to find the strength in himself that was still certain of Brienne's love, even after all he had done.

Pod's stance deflated a bit with his sigh. He felt terrible for prying into the Lord Commander's private life, however, he had seen first hand the pain with which she still suffered. If he could somehow have a part in mending her shattered heart, Podrick would accept the embarrassment gladly. "Very well." He nodded. "Let us get on with it." He said, apprehensively.