•𝐬𝐮𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬• (edited)

When I finally arrived home, it was well past seven.

I quickly completed my homework, moving on to take some photos for Heidi.

After emailing them to her, I called Jane. I told her about my day and she talked about everything I had missed in Volterra.

"Looks like we're getting a new receptionist this month," she announced with a giggle.

I sighed.
"Nothing to be happy about." I scolded her with a small smile, which she couldn't see anyway.

"Aro is always happy about the new ones".

I snorted at that. Then I realized that I forgot to tell them something important. "Jane, is everyone else in the room with you?" I asked.

Mere seconds later I could hear some shuffling in the background and a few murmurs.

"Now they are. Is something wrong?" She asked, concerned.

I thought of how to play my cards- I knew that if she even suspected that I might be in danger, she would be on the first plane to America- she took her role of an older sister very seriously.

"No, not exactly. Though, uncle, if you remember your old friend, I'm getting well acquainted with his family" I responded cautiously, knowing he would hear me even from the other side of the room.
At first, I wasn't planning on telling them anything, but quickly came to the conclusion that it wouldn't hurt in the long run. If anything happened to me, they would know where to go looking. I still didn't know what to make of their presence among the high school population. And if I wanted to fly under their radar, I would need a pretty good plan.

"Cullen?" Asked Jane.

"The one and only. I haven't met him yet but I think his family is getting a bit suspicious" I replied with a sigh.

"Cara mia, you have to be careful. Although they will not hurt you, them finding out wouldn't be a good thing," I heard Aro say in the background.

I hummed in agreement, knowing that they did, in fact, break the first and most important law they set themselves by not killing or turning me immediately.

If news got out, it would make them look unreliable, and probably put us all in danger. Uncle has told me about the Romanians and how they were just waiting for our coven to mess up, so that they could take back their rule.

"I will. Don't worry, the family secret is safe with me." I joked, hearing a few snickers on the other side.

We chatted for a while after that, and while I missed my family dearly, I was thankful for the opportunity to live on my own for a while. Although, it wouldn't be long before I had to return home.

I thought of my life after graduation. Even though I would be continuing my education, I would probably be expected to join the guard at some point- even though Aro hasn't stated it openly, I wasn't stupid- ever since I was young I knew that my gift was the sole reason Caius agreed to keeping me alive, and being a gifted vampire, I would make a good addition to the guard.

As much as I loved Jane and wished to work alongside her, I was hoping for a bit of freedom and some more time on my own.

I set my alarm for the morning and let the thoughts about my future lull me to sleep.

As morning came, I got ready fairly quickly and, realizing that I, in fact, had nothing to eat, I headed out to grab a meal from a cafe in town called "A shot in the dark"- a name somehow extremely fitting for my current situation.

An hour later, with a warm meal in my stomach and a cup of coffee to go, I headed towards the school.

I spotted the three familiar cars in the parking lot and parked a few spots away, not wanting to draw any more attention to myself than I already had.