•𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐥𝐲•

Luna

I couldn't sleep that night.

Tossing and turning for hours, I got gradually more annoyed as time went by. Finally, finding solace in the drops of rain drumming against my roof, I had closed my eyes for what seemed like ages, only to find out that merely three hours had passed and give up trying to sleep whatsoever.

I felt guilty, almost. While my parents had to go into hiding, and were god knows where- and their safety wasn't guaranteed- here I was, safe and sound in my comfortable bed, about to get ready for another day of my safe, comfortable life.

It made me feel sick.

My phone screen lacked the usual missed calls and texts from my family, and my heart felt somewhat heavy. They really were doing this. They really were going to fight. I threw the damned device onto my bed, covering it with a pillow for good measure. I didn't even want to look at it.

I didn't have the energy to make my bed that morning.

I dragged myself to the bathroom, heading over to the sink to splash my face with a generous amount of freezing water. I didn't dare look at myself in the mirror- I knew I looked even more dead than my newfound friends.

I couldn't stomach my breakfast in the morning and I had a feeling it would become a regular occurrence. The plate of scrambled eggs sat on the table as I stabbed them with my fork, finally giving up on my attempt to eat and leaving the plate on the counter.

I wished I had school that day, or anything else to occupy my mind- being left alone with one's darkest thoughts was a dangerous, dangerous thing.
Grim scenarios ran through my mind as I rummaged through my closet in search of something to wear, effectively ruining any chances of it being a good day.

Although, how good can your day be when you're worrying about your family's lives?

I hoped they were alright.

But if they weren't?

What would I do without the twins? The kings who had basically raised me alongside my parents? Without the friends I made among the guard? Would I be able to make a life for myself away from the castle? Would I even be able to go back home?

If things went wrong, my parents could never return to Volterra and by extension, neither could I. And since they were on the run and the enemy was more powerful than we could ever dream to be, we could never reunite in fear of being found and possibly executed. At least they were in good hands- the guards taking care of them would most likely turn them in case they found themselves at the brink of death and help them adapt to their eternal lives.

I briefly considered getting on a plane to join them before remembering I had, in fact, no idea where they were. They could be anywhere in the world, and all I could do was hope that the guards assigned to them really were keeping them out of harm's way.

I stopped in my tracks, hand reaching out to turn off the boiling kettle as a wave of realization washed over me, making me sick to my stomach.

It suddenly became very apparent why I was sent here. This must have been brewing for a long time before my departure, and not wanting me caught in the crossfire, they decided to send me to the other side of the world, pretending I had a choice in the matter.

Everything checked out- I was given a house, a car, even my fake documents so I could easily start over if need be.
Aro's hug had been just a little bit tighter than usual when I was leaving.

How long had the conflict been brewing?

How long had Aro known?

Did Jane know? Did my parents?