35 - catastrophes

Murdered.

The very word was harrowing let alone the thought.

Despite the shock of the truth, Athena hadn't been that surprised to hear something so brutal. As soon as Dumbledore had mentioned the Death Eaters, she had prepared herself for the worst.

As the Headmaster no longer sought to continue, she guessed the time to ask her questions had arrived.

"Why did no one ever tell me?"

"Ah there are several reasons and I have no prediction to whether you will see them excusable," he replied. "You are the daughter of a former Death Eater, one who abandoned those he was supposed to be loyal to. They had never been aware that he had had a child, and I am certain that they still do not. I believe if they were brought to the knowledge that Atticus Rivière's daughter lived, they would not be lenient to the matter."

"You mean they would kill me," she stated with no question.

"Potentially," he frowned. "But knowing of their barbaric savagery, most definitely they would."

A deafening silence lingered in the room as Athena attempted to comprehend this new turn of events.

"So why was I not told? If they'd want me dead, why was I not made aware, of any of this?" she raised her voice, losing composure.

"For the exact reason that I have mentioned," he said, calmly. "Nobody knew that you were Atticus Rivière s daughter, not even yourself. And evidently, it had been safer that way. Of course, it was inevitable that you would find out eventually, whether that be you were told or you found out the information yourself as you so coincidentally have. But until today, you have lead an uncomplicated life throughout your youth, believing both of your parents to be muggles and in no way vulnerable to those who are dangerous."

"How are you so certain that they don't know I am his daughter?" she asked.

"Merely for the reason that there has never been an attempt on your life," he said with regret.

"And so what am I supposed to do if they do find out?" she questioned. "Hope that they don't kill me? Pray that I don't end up the same as my dad?"

"If it so unfortunately happens that they are to become aware that you are his child, we shall discuss the matter when the time comes. Though for now I advise you only confide in very few, only those who you trust undeniably."

She nodded in reply and then remembered a question she had thought to ask near the beginning of the conversation.

"So Maeve Rivière, we must be related in some way right?"

"Indeed," he smiled. "She happens to be the daughter of Sebastian Rivière who was your father's cousin. You recall I mentioned Fitzwilliam Rivière?"

She nodded.

"He was her grandfather. Thus making you and Maeve second cousins, once removed."

Athena stared at him, trying to piece together and process the connections in her mind. It was certainly a lot to comprehend. This was an understatement.

"Does she know?"

"I have no knowledge of whether she does or does not. If you find it fit to ask her, certainly do so. It's important to know your family. Especially when they have been concealed from you your entire life," he advised.

Once again, she nodded without uttering a word and she did so mechanically, acting almost like a robot.

The conflict of her thoughts was honestly indescribable to the point that she couldn't even fathom the information she had recently been handed. For the entirety of her living years she had never imagined being involved in something so detrimental and entirely inescapable. There had always been a feeling present that there was something missing, and this thing she had never quite grasped.