58 - two christmas'

December

Becoming eighteen was not supposed to feel as unfulfilling as it had. When Athena's birthday approached, she'd dreaded every second leading up to it.

She'd just hoped that nobody would try and brighten her spirit by throwing a grand birthday bash like the year before. Of course, last year's birthday was a lot more meaningful, her becoming a Wizard of age.

But everyone seemed to be having big parties for their birthdays this year. Any excuse to have fun in such dark times. Birthdays were fitting to bring a bit of happiness, even if it was the most minuscule amount.

But Athena's birthday was quite like any other day. Adequate, just with the addition of those around her who were aware, saying happy birthday. She'd received a few gifts— one package by owl post from her mother and David, more books, a knitted jumper from Mr and Mrs Weasley, several items from Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, courtesy of Fred and George, chocolates and sweets and firewhiskey from her friends.

Cologne from Theo. The one she had forgotten to take with her that night a month ago. Draco's cologne. She couldn't bring herself to ask for it, but he gave it regardless.

But aside from the added specials of birthdays, it was fairly normal. She wanted it to be that way. Couldn't stand the attention.

Couldn't possibly handle the thought of her birthday needing to be special, happy, unlike the other days of the year, merely because everyday felt the same.

One long drag of consciousness. Even when she did sleep, it was never for long.

The Christmas holidays came around quickly after that. She felt as if she could breathe again when her birthday had ended. Not that breathing had been easy for her beforehand, since each taken writhed through her chest.

Initially she had planned to stay at Hogwarts over the break. After all, she had no one to go home to this year, no one to spend the festivities with.

However, that was until she was reminded of the yearly Christmas tradition of spending it with the Weasleys when Ginny requested she spend the break at The Burrow.

"Oh no, you mustn't be here all alone," she'd protested. "Please do come and stay with us. I reckon Mum would really appreciate it—you know, with the others being gone and all. It might feel less lonely with you there."

How could Athena possibly refuse Ginny? Just because she was drowning in her own sorrows, that didn't mean everyone else needed to be unhappy. She felt as if she was doing a service by accepting the invitation. She was certain it would be extremely hard going, but couldn't imagine herself in any more pain. Numb to it.

"Of course I will. I'd love to," she'd replied, a hint of enthusiasm in her tone.

"Great! Mum will be so pleased."

The next day, Maeve had approached her, asking questions about her plans over the holidays. She'd told her about The Burrow and noticed Maeve's disappointment when learning of her arrangements. She didn't voice anything audibly until Athena had asked why.

"Oh it's nothing really. It's just—my parents want to meet you. They've been wanting to meet you since you found out we're related. Sort of had the idea that maybe you could come for Christmas," she explained, appearing hesitant.