40 - endings

Not long after the conflict had passed, Athena found herself in the basement, outside of the Hufflepuff common room. She lingered by the entrance, not quite sure how she was going to get in. Usually when she'd go, Cedric would already be there to let her inside.

Her throat was exhausted from clenching as she suppressed the infuriating tears from leaking.

She felt inclined to see Cedric. She needed to settle the unrest of her mind. It would only torture her further if she left everything for another time.

After a few minutes, a group of Hufflepuff students came filing out of the common room, one of them being Hannah Abbott. When the girl noticed Athena stood by the entrance, she gave her a look of confusion but wore a friendly smile. The two weren't exactly the closest of friends but shared a mutual esteem for one another.

"Hello Athena. What are you doing waiting out here?" she asked. Her friends went ahead but Hannah stayed behind to speak to Athena.

"I'm—um–I need to see Cedric," she replied.

"Oh sure, I'll let you inside. He's in his room I think," Hannah said before she opened the entrance to the common room. Athena thanked her with an amiable goodbye that Hannah returned.

She went on through, experiencing a terrible dread the closer she got to Cedric's room. When she approached the door, she hesitated before knocking.

Despite the guilt, she couldn't help but feel rather distasteful towards Cedric. After all, he had assumed the worst of her without even considering her version of events, not to mention the truth. And how quick he was to jump to conclusions. His response made it quite clear that he did not trust her.

After a few seconds, the door opened and on the other side was Cedric with a face of despair. His eyes widened when he saw her before he released a deep sigh. He stood defensively at first but after some mental consideration, gestured for her to come inside.

They sat on his bed in a shared silence for a moment while they both attempted to piece together what exactly to say.

"Were you lying to me?" he initiated the conversation.

"No," she replied.

"So nothing at all happened between you and Malfoy?"

"No," she repeated.

"Then why would he say all that if it isn't true?" Cedric questioned, trying to make sense of what had happened.

"Because Ced, he's an arsehole!" she sighed, raising her tone slightly. "God, don't you trust me?"

"Of course I trust you Athena," he groaned.

"Then why won't you believe me?"

He didn't reply at first, leaning his elbow forward on his thigh and rest his head in his hand.

"The bracelet. How did he get it?" he diverted from her question.

"We were in detention and he must've stolen it without me knowing," she explained. "I'm sorry that it all happened that way. But again, why won't you believe me?"

"Oh because Athena—" he began in an outburst of emotion. "Because I can see that you feel something for him."

His words felt like a stun to her chest.

"That is not true," she denied with a scowl.

"I think you know it is," he sighed. "I know you're unhappy with me and that's the last thing I want you to feel."

"I'm not unhappy, I'm—"

She cut herself off when trying to think of what it was she was actually feeling. The only things that she could decipher from her own feelings in this moment was an uncomfortable guilt and discontent. But when she really looked at him, she saw him how she always had, with admiration and fondness.