Chapter Twenty-Eight

Allie glanced down at the copies in her hands and nodded to herself. It was all here. Everything was ready to go. Now, all that was left to do was get in her car and drive over to the clubhouse. She was a goddamn professional and she had an appointment with her clients at 2:00.

"I made a few extra copies," Piper shrugged at her. "I feel like Opie would lose his head if it wasn't attached to his body, so leaving some extras at the clubhouse when you're done seemed like a good idea."

Allie looked up from the copies in her slightly trembling hands and shot her rockstar assistant a grin. "Piper, have I told you lately how utterly lost I would be without you?"

"No," she just shrugged again. "But go ahead and remember that when it's time to give me a raise."

"How about we start with you and Dylan out for a nice dinner, or bowling, on me? How's that sound?"

Piper glanced up at her from the desk, her blue eyes impassive and a little sad, and then she tore her gaze back down to the desk to stare at a stack of paperwork.

"Piper."

She quirked her eyebrows back at Allie nonchalantly. "What?"

"Is everything okay?"

Piper just shrugged again, which Allie could only take to mean that everything really wasn't okay. And when Piper's phone started buzzing a foot away from her on the desk, Piper just glanced at the screen, lifted her eyes to the ceiling and went back to focusing on the stack of papers she was sorting.

"Piper."

When Piper's phone just started buzzing again, Allie took the hint. She grabbed all the copies of her presentation and her purse, and made a beeline for the door.

"You know what?" Allie called over her shoulder. "Why don't you take that, Pipes. I was gonna get a coffee on my way into the clubhouse anyway and then I can go over all this one last time before the meeting."

"Allie, it's really -"

"No, no," Allie grinned at her as she pulled her office's door open. "I insist. Something's going on here, and when I get back, we're gonna talk about it, but it sounds like you need to handle it a little bit first."

Piper blew out a heavy sigh, and then swooped her phone off Allie's desk to answer it, shooting Allie a frustrated glance as she put the phone up to her ear. On that note, now it seemed like the best option was just to get the hell out of this office and give time to Piper to deal with whatever issue she was obviously having.

They would absolutely be discussing this, in great, great detail, when she got back to the office after her meeting at the clubhouse. Something was up, and something was wrong, but it was clear Piper also needed some space right now too. And lucky for her, Allie already had an appointment that would take her out of the office a little while too.

And since she really had plenty of time before her 2:00 appointment, she decided to make a pitstop at the little bakery about 10 minutes away from the clubhouse. Allie was really after the small coffee bar there, not necessarily the baked goods, but she had a feeling Jax wouldn't turn something down if she decided to grab a cookie or two for him with her coffee.

She'd already had plenty of coffee for the day, but since she had the time to kill, she also wanted to calm her nerves a little too.

For her first time back in the clubhouse in well over a week, Allie wanted to be on the top of her game. Ready for any question. Any hint of animosity or indifference. Or anything at all. Taking this little breather right now would give her a moment to make sure her head was on straight and to take one last look at everything she'd put together for them.