Chapter Five

Allie took one more long look in the mirror before batting Dan's hand away from her hair. It was fine - or at least, as good as it was going to get. Dan had expertly styled her chestnut hair in retro waves with a deep side part - he'd even taken the extra effort to clip a section behind her ear, which just added to the 70s vibe he'd chosen for her tonight.

The party wasn't themed, exactly. But anytime her dad threw a party at the studio, whether it was a wrap party, a premiere party, or something in between, his guests didn't spare any glamour in their attire. Dan had gone all out himself with a full pinstripe suit and tie. Of course, a good chunk of tonight's party guests were going to be sorely underdressed, but Allie had a feeling they wouldn't care too much anyway.

"Now," Dan murmured in her ear. "You. Look. Fierce."

He fluffed a stray curl into place, but she swatted his hand away so she could touch up her lipstick. Still, she couldn't stamp down the nagging feelings that had her reassessing her reflection and then reassessing it again. Although her emerald strapless dress had a beautiful sweetheart neckline, her breasts didn't exactly fill out the top the way she would've liked. In fact she was pretty sure she would be the only one in the room with A cups. And while the silky fabric and ruching at her hips should've been curve-hugging, she really didn't have any curves to hug. All of that wasn't exactly doing her self-esteem any favors right now.

God, she couldn't remember the last time she'd felt this way. She'd been in a room filled with half-dressed, triple-D porn stars so many times she'd lost count, and until tonight, she'd never felt so inadequate at the thought of having to stand next to them. Of knowing she would stand out like a sore thumb in a crowd of them.

"My sweet little one," Dan murmured again. "Stop second-guessing my style choices. You must never doubt my prowess."

Allie huffed out a laugh and shook her head. "Oh, not to worry, Daniel. I would never dream of doubting you."

"That's right. And that's because all the makeup and hairspray in the world doesn't matter if you don't already have a bangin' canvas to start with. Just sayin'."

"Well," Allie smiled. "You look quite stunning yourself tonight."

Dan glanced down at his formal attire and nodded, obviously quite pleased with himself. He jutted out his elbow for her to take, and she linked arms with him, letting him lead her out of their makeshift dressing room at the studio and into the fray.

The studio's main production floor had basically been turned into a disco floor, complete with a bar on one side of the room, an expansive dance floor in the middle, and tables and tables of food. Of course, Jimmy had taken her advice - there were just as many platters of sushi as there were wings and pizza, although they were tastefully kept apart on separate tables on opposite sides of the room. Boxes and boxes of beer bottles had also been brought in - Jimmy didn't do keggers - along with an army's supply of vodka and whiskey. Mixers were optional, apparently.

Luckily enough, the party was in full swing by the time they walked across the dance floor to head toward the bar, but there were still no Samcro cuts in sight. That was good. That would give her a chance to find her bearings and steel herself for whatever this party was going to bring. Judging by the way pretty much all the actors were gyrating on the dance floor with drinks in their hands already, it wasn't going to take long for this night to go downhill fast.

When she caught Ima's gaze from across the dance floor, Allie chose to hold the stare, daring her to engage. Finally, Ima just rolled her eyes and went back to grinding with a male actor. Allie smiled to herself - she'd take these small victories where she could get them. And when she finally let out the breath she'd been holding, Allie started to feel a little more like herself again. Insecurity slipped away, and she found herself pulling on the old familiar confidence she usually wore like armour.