Chapter Eleven

The second Allie pulled her car into her garage, she immediately hit the button to close the garage door. It was bad enough Jax was currently parking his bike in her driveway. She'd already had to power through the entire drive from the studio to her house - all 15 minutes of it and including the brief detour to an ATM - with Jax right in her rearview mirror. She wasn't about to give him the opportunity to slide in before the garage door closed.

He was getting his arrogant ass inside this house over her dead body.

Allie skidded down the hallway, haphazardly tossing her keys onto the counter in the kitchen as she sprinted over to the window at the center of her living room, the same one that gave her a perfect side view of her front porch. Jax was already stepping onto the porch, bringing an open flame to the cigarette in between his lips. He looked around as he took a drag from his cigarette, his blue eyes taking quick appraisal of the front of her house, from the hydrangeas nestled on both sides of the walkway and her ceramic planters near the front door, to the set of wicker chairs at the end of the porch.

A wave of self-consciousness rolled through her. Jax Teller was at her house. He was standing on her porch, smoking a cigarette like it was the most natural thing in the world. Was she in the Upside Down or something right now? Stepped inside some kind of alternate reality where this was a thing she allowed to happen?

She shook her head in disbelief as he meandered over to one of the wicker chairs on the porch and plopped down, flicking some ash from his cigarette and stretching his legs out leisurely. Jesus Christ, he was even rocking in the chair a little bit. At least he hadn't bothered with the doorbell.

Allie glanced at the time on her phone and pushed out a breath. She still had about 10 minutes before her mom was supposed to show up. It was so goddamn inconvenient that Dan was filming today - that would've ended this. If she could've just said Dan was going to be here, if she could've just lied...but lying to Jax's face wasn't an option. That serious expression on his face was like a truth serum.

So, because she needed a distraction, she bounded up the stairs to change out of her work clothes. And she had to get the rest of the cash from her dresser anyway. After sliding into a pair of black leggings and a chunky oversized sweater, Allie gingerly slipped the bills out of her dresser drawer with a heavy heart.

Then she pulled down a little section of the blinds in her bedroom window to glance down at the front porch. Yep. He was still there. And this wasn't all just a bad dream.

There was really no good reason why she couldn't have found Opie before she left the studio and told him what was going on. Jax didn't have to volunteer - he could've just as easily sent anyone else from the club in his place with plenty of time to spare. But here they were.

He looked so out of place in that wicker chair, rocking easily with his lips wrapped around a cigarette. All he was missing was a beer and a shotgun. Or a Glock, she thought ruefully.

Jax cut an imposing, intimidating figure out there. From the leather on his back, the slicked back hair, the cigarette dangling from his lips, the white T-shirt, sneakers, and baggy jeans, he looked exactly like the biker gangster he absolutely was. Anyone who started walking toward her house would take one look at him and backpedal in a hurry. They'd probably call the cops while they were at it too.

And, she realized with a heavy sigh, her mom was about to walk into that. Even if she got dropped off by that guy, she'd still have to come up the walkway and pass by Jax to get inside the house.

There was a part of her, deep down, that knew she shouldn't care. That knew if her mom really wanted the cash that badly, she could grow a pair and walk past Jax to collect.