Chapter Six

The doorbell rang - Allie jumped a little at the sound. She'd known this was coming today. After all, the text message couldn't have been clearer, or more abrupt. But then again, that's usually the way this went.

She'd show up. They'd make awkward small talk. She'd collect. She'd leave.

That didn't make anything easier, but it was better that they both knew how these visits were going to go so they could check their expectations accordingly.

Allie opened her front door to find her mother standing on the doorstep, waiting expectantly like she always did. One quick look at her told Allie everything she needed to know - her clothes looked like they'd been laundered recently, her skin was a little brighter than the last time Allie had seen her, and her hair was only a little greasy, which meant she'd probably showered within the last few days. Overall, Anna Levy looked okay. Maybe even a little better than the last time Allie had seen her.

That was good news. That meant she was doing the right thing here - that this was helping, that this was helping her mom stand on her own two feet.

"Alexandra," Anna exhaled with a smile, and Allie had to swallow back all the emotions that came bubbling up to the surface at the sound of her voice.

"Hi, Mom."

They stared at each other for a moment before Allie stepped to the side so Anna could enter the house. Anna walked through the entryway slowly, almost robotically, marveling at everything from the couch to the rustic fireplace, just like she always did.

I wonder how long it'll take this time, Allie thought wryly. It never failed, and she was sure this visit would be no different from all ones before it.

Allie trailed after her as Anna moved deeper inside the house before finally settling at one of the barstools by the kitchen island. At first glance, Allie and Anna weren't all that different - same dark eyes, same chestnut hair, same petite frame. At one point, they'd even worked in the same industry, although Anna's job was in front of the camera, not behind it. But that was probably where the similarities ended, and they both knew it.

There were so many ways Anna's life could've been different. In the early 80s, she'd been the most in-demand actress in the industry, churning out a new film every few weeks - which, given the current safety regulations, was no longer the industry standard - and she'd been riding high on just about anything and everything a person could get high on. Then she'd met Jimmy Levy and everything had gone downhill from there.

And while Jimmy had not only survived their inevitable downward spiral into booze and drugs, but had built an empire in his rise, Anna hadn't been so lucky.

"You know," Anna started easily, gesturing to the expansive kitchen. "It never fails to amaze me how well you're doing, honey. I mean, I always knew you would find success, but you've really come into your own."

Allie took a deep breath. This was typical. Her mom was just buttering her up because they both knew Anna wasn't here for a social visit.

Given that the party the night before had quickly spiraled out of her control, which was really Jax's fault anyway, Allie was still a little dead on her feet, which were still throbbing from those sky-high heels. And being in a room filled with smoke for hours had left her feeling stuffed up and groggy. Not to mention the fact that she'd been all but strong-armed into leaving her car in the studio's parking lot. While she'd be the first to admit she probably shouldn't have driven home last night, Allie was also not going to linger on the effort Jax had taken to make sure she got home safely, or his motivations for doing it, any longer than she had to.

So, Allie reached into her purse to give her mom what she came here for. When she handed over the cash, Anna didn't hesitate.

Now that that was over, Allie shifted to the refrigerator and started pulling out a few things to make her mom a sandwich before she left. The kitchen was silent as she worked - and really, now that Anna had her money, what was left to say? Small talk wasn't necessary anymore, and Anna wasn't stupid enough to leave without a free meal either.