Chapter Four

Consciousness hit him in waves. He winced, daring to pry his eyes open and squeezed them shut again as soon as light hit. It didn't help that a splitting headache worked its way from the base of his neck all the way to the back of his eyes. His stomach was rolling. His throat felt like he'd just spent the whole night swallowing sandpaper.

He was hungover as fuck.

Scrubbing his face with a hand, Jax glanced over to his left to find a mess of dark hair snoring soundly next to him.

Shit.

He blew out a sigh. While he wanted to pass out in bed for as long as he could today, he preferred to do it alone. So he reached out to gently shake the girl lying next to him awake. She moaned a little, shifting in bed and giving him a good eyeful of her face. Jax winced again, choosing to give her another little shake rather than focus on anything else.

"Hey," he murmured to her.

The girl's eyes fluttered open and the second it registered just whose bed she was currently in, her lips spread apart in a lazy grin.

"Hi," she smiled, stretching her arms over her head with a yawn.

Yeah, they weren't doing this right now. Probably ever again if he could help it. With that in mind, he gave her another shake and gestured with his head toward the door - wincing at the pain that shot through his temples in the process.

"Why don't you head on out, darlin'," he murmured, punching his pillow a little as he spoke. It didn't help.

The girl's face fell in disappointment, and her lips jutted out in a pout. Maybe that had worked on him last night - he couldn't really be sure. Pieces of the night before came back in hazy flashes...he'd peeled out of the studio's parking lot on a tear, practically shaking with rage, with half a mind to turn back around and lay into her one more time for keeping the facts to herself...and all that frustration and irritation had obviously bled through the rest of his night at the clubhouse. A half a bottle of Jack later, and this was what he'd reaped.

She slipped out from under his covers, naked as the day she was born, and tiptoed around the room, gathering her clothes as she moved. As he took in her dark, shoulder-length hair and petite frame, Jax winced again.

And he sure as shit wasn't going to ruminate on that any longer than he had to.

The girl had barely gotten her jeans pulled up over her ass when a loud knock rapped on his door. Her eyes flew to him like a deer in headlights, and she rushed to get the rest of her clothes back on. Another knock echoed through the room. Well, it looked like he was going to have to wait a little bit longer to sleep the rest of the day away.

Jax tossed his legs over the side of the bed, scooped up his boxers, and pulled them on. Then he grinned at the girl, who'd just gotten herself presentable, and pulled the door open so she could make her exit.

Unfortunately for him, his mother was waiting on the other side of the door. Gemma took one hard look at the scene in front of her and cocked a dark eyebrow his way. The girl at his side had the good sense to duck around him and scamper off without as much as a word. She was the lucky one here - from the looks of things, Jax wasn't going to get off quite as easily.

Gemma folded her arms across her chest, appraising her son with cold judgment.

"Jackson."

He scrubbed both hands over his eyes and dared a look at his mother. "Yeah, Ma?"

"You have approximately two seconds to get your shit together."

Jax blew out a breath and shook his head. Nah, he wasn't doing this right now. At least not after he popped about four aspirin and slept for another eight hours or so. Maybe then they could have it out about whatever it was she was so pissed about this morning. Or was it afternoon? He wasn't sure.