Jealousy

Severus was poking around in his breakfast annoyed. Since yesterday, he had the feeling that his stomach would turn around all the time. He was sick. It was so bad, that he was about to vomit. But Severus was in a good physical condition. It was his heart that made him feel that way.
He felt that Lucius Malfoy, a rich boy with long platinum blond hair, was laying his hand on his shoulder.
"Nothing to worry about. You deserve someone better anyway." , said Lucius, trying to cheer up his friend.
But Severus didn't want pity. Not now. The wound was too fresh for that. Only yesterday he overheard that James had kissed Lily in the Gryffindor common room.
Uncertainly, he looked over to the Gryffindor table. And he immediately regretted it when he saw the two holding hands.
Severus' heart felt like a centaur had just shot it with a poisonous arrow.
Making friends was always a challange for him. He had never really been popular at Hogwarts. Severus only mingled with people when it was really necessary. And instead of going to the Quidditch matches, the Slytherin preferred to spend his time in the dungeons learning a few new potion formulas.

"Eat at least little bit of your breakfast. It will be a long day, Sevy."
He shoot up and looked into the grinning face of Bellatrix Black. She must have sled in. Or he was just so caught up in his thoughts that he didn't notice Bellatrix.
Her black curly head was hanging right in front of him. She still grinned, her eyes wide open and her arms leaning tightly on the table. Bellatrix Black was a bit scary. And it was no secret that even the other students of the House of Slytherin were afraid of her. But as long as Bellatrix didn't hurt him, Severus had no intention of judging her. With a jerk, Bellatrix pushed herself off the table and jumped out of the Great Hall.

"I still don't know how to feel about Bellatrix. She's definitely the girl you wouldn't suspect after a murder." , Lucius whispered with a sarcastic undertone.
He looked over to the table of the Gryffindors. Although Severus knew the pain was unbearable when he saw Lily and James together, he simply couldn't help it. The girl he loved so much was now dating the boy who had been bullying and teasing him for years.
What did Lily see in James that Severus didn't have? Was it the black hair? The dark eyes? Or perhaps the fact that Severus was a Slytherin after all? Possibly something he wasn't even thinking about? Something so simple, but still enough to keep away Lily from loving the quiet boy from Spinner's End?
His gaze drifted down to the plate, on which layed two fried eggs, looking at least as sad as Severus himself.
"Potions class is about to start. We should go.", said Lucius, clearing his cloak of the crumbs from his toast.

Severus and Lucius went out of the Great Hall. Lucius was not really fascinated or attracted by potions class. He thought it would be a waste of time to throw herbs in a kettle and come up with funny names for the brews. Severus, on the other hand, was a very gifted student in potions. He succeeded in every potion on the first attempt, and at the exams he was the best of his year since he arrived at Hogwarts. In his spare time, he prepared potions, that were even too difficult for professors who had specialized in this school subject, without any mistakes.
"I hope we will learn Felix Felicis' this time. He is one of my absolute favourites!" said Severus, and a shy smile appeared on his pale lips.
"And I'm glad if I don't fall asleep again". , Lucius replied annoyed and moved his shoulder bag a bit, "This supplementary book for this year is heavier than I thought."
Severus stopped suddenly and stared at his friend's face.
"Oh no, the book! I forgot to put it in my bag last night!" he answered Lucius. Severus turned around, ignoring his friend's complaint about the too heavy shoulder bag and shouted, "I'll go get it quickly, go ahead!"

The hallways were slowly emptying. Class would start soon. His steps echoed through the old hallways of Hogwarts. Luckily, the artifact room where Severus had left the book was not far away. In the Slytherin common room, it became quite noisy, especially in the evening, which was the reason he often visited the artifact room. Here he was able to learn and practice for potions class undisturbed.
"Well well, who do we have here?" a voice sounded. Severus slowed his pace and looked around. James Potter appeared behind a dirty old armor and pointed his wand at the Slytherin.
"Where are you going, Snape?" James hissed and came a little closer, the wand still firmly in his hand, "I thought you and Malfoy were on your way to potions class? But today seems to be my lucky day, doesn't it? You're here all alone." James got closer and closer. No student or teacher was in the hallway anymore.
"What do you want from me, Potter?" asked Severus, trying to remain as calm as possible. He had no desire or time for a confrontation with the Gryffindor.
James was now a few centimeters away from his face, the tip of his wand placed menacingly at Severus' throat.
With a disgusted look, James whispered: "Stay away from my Lily, you annoying snake. She's my girlfriend, you understand?"
He thought the best option was to say nothing. Because a Yes would be a lie. And saying No would be a lie as well.
"Do you understand, Snape?", James growled, his expression darkening.
Severus let his hand slide slowly and carefully inside his cloak as he continued to maintain eye contact with James.
"Answer me!" the young Gryffindor shouted furious and raised his wand to cast a spell. But Severus was faster.
"Stupefy!", he cried out loudly, his wand out in front of him. James flew backwards and crashed on the stone floor a few seconds later.
Severus wanted to avoid trouble as much as he could and decided to make his way back to potions class as quickly as possible. He would get the book from the artifact room later this afternoon. The Slytherin would probably have deal with the consequences of showing up to class way too late and without his book.
Just as he had turned around, a furious "Flipendo!" rang out behind him.
In a flash, Severus performed a circular hand gesture and a shiny shield appeared in front of him. However, the effect of the protection spell was short-lived.
"Flipendo!", the Gryffindor shouted again. This time, however, the attack spell missed its target and slammed into the display case of Quidditch awards with a deafening explosion. Shards of glass flew on the floor. Shocked, Severus stared at the destroyed display case, its badges and trophies. For that, he could be expelled if it turned out that the accident happend during an illegal duel.

"Where's Severus?", Bellatrix whispered, looking around the classroom. Potions class had started half an hour ago and there was still no sign of the black haired Slytherin. "He just went to get his book.", Lucius sighed, unobtrusively turning his chair backwards a little to be able to talk to Bellatrix better, "actually, he should be coming through the door any moment now. Sev is almost never late."
Bellatrix nodded slowly, twirling one of her black curls around her index finger. Bored, Lucius scribbled with his quill on a sheet of parchment that lay on the table in front of him.

After about two hours, potions class was coming to an end. Severus was still gone.
Lucius stuffed his books back into his shoulder bag. Because of the weight of the heavy bag his shoulder started to ache again. From the corner of his eye he saw Bellatrix walking towards the classroom exit. Lucius got up quickly and rushed over to her.
"Black! Please wait a moment!" he said and groaned in pain as his long hair got caught in the strap of his bag.
"What is it, Malfoy?" she answered.
Lucius pulled off some loose hairs from his shoulder bag as he said: "I think something has happened. It doesn't take two hours to get a book."
"You think? Maybe Sevy just got lost. Or the stairs are causing trouble again. You know they change direction!", explained Bellatrix, as if she didn't want to admit that something could have happened to Severus.
But Lucius knew it. Something had happened.