The Animagus

"What do you mean, Sirius Black is in this room?", Severus asked in disbelief, looking around Dumbledore's office.
Was Black hiding somewhere? Maybe behind the curtains? Or maybe he crouched under one of the many tables in the room?
Severus frowned and scratched his head confusedly. Thanks to a spell, Lily had been able to discover that no one was in Dumbledore's office except himself, her and Lupin.
"Are you making fun of me?" Severus muttered, staring at Lupin darkly with a penetrating glance.
There wasn't a fourth person in the room. Human-presence-revealing Spell never lied.
Lupin, who had put on a soft smile and was not intimidated by Severus' harsh implication, shook his head.
"I'm not making fun of you, Snape.The Marauders Map doesn't lie. Sirius is in this room", said Remus, stroking Padfoot lovingly behind his ears.
Then he knelt down to the dog, whose yellow eyes glowed peacefully, and whispered something to him.
Severus turned desperately to Lily. What did Remus mean when he said the map never lied, even though there was no sign of Sirius Black?
"Do you know what an Animagus is, Sev?", Lily asked, noticing Severus's worried look.
An Animagus?
Yeah, he'd actually heard about it before.
"Animagi are people who can turn into animals, right?", Severus answered and was quite confused that Lily asked him such a strange question.
"Well, then everything is settled!", Lily laughed and her green eyes glowed at least as brightly as the yellow ones of Padfoot.
Is everything settled? Severus didn't understand a word. He was more confused than before. Did he have a mental error?
Severus again let his gaze wander through the office of Dumbledore.
"Sirius Black, Sirius Black... Where are you?", muttered Severus.
He scanned each of the many portraits that hung on the wall. Each portrait was asleep and snore peacefully.
Was Black trapped in one of the paintings?
Was that why Severus felt constantly being watched?
He pulled out his wand and quickly performed a Wand-Lighting Charm to better recognize the people in the paintings.
He watched each portrait attentively down to the last detail.
But there was still no sign of Sirius Black.
"Merlin, boy, turn off the light! I want to sleep!", hissed an old wizard wearing a cape in the colours of Slytherin, green and silver. His white goatee shimmered like a large cobweb in the faint glow of Severus' Wand-Lighting Charm.
Remus and Lily had sat on the floor and giggled as they stroked the black fur of Padfoot.
Severus extinguished the light in embarrassment.
Where in Merlin's name was Black hiding?
Disappointed, he walked back to Remus, Lily and Padfoot. Discouraged, he dropped to the floor next to Lily.
"I think I'm too stupid for this riddle. Can't you just tell me where Black is?," Severus moaned demotivated, leaning against Lily's shoulder.
For a brief moment, he closed his eyes and enjoyed the pleasant warmth coming from Lily's body. Severus had never felt so comfortable in the presence of a person. He couldn't imagine his life without Lily. Without her, Severus' life would be gray and depressing. He leaned a bit more against her and all of a sudden Severus felt Lily's soft pink lips on his cheek. Lovingly she placed a tender kiss on his skin, which was soft as silk.
Severus' heart began to beat as fast as a drum, like the many times before. He was afraid that his heart would explodewith joy. A hot, red glow shot into Severus' pale face.
"Uhm, all right!", Remus cleared his throat and smiled. Slightly annoyed that Remus had ruined this wonderful moment between him and Lily, Severus opened his black eyes.
And what he saw then, was something that he never expected.
"W-What in Merlin's name?", Severus stuttered in shock as he saw a familiar face.
Sirius Black sat next to Remus with a grin.
He wore the usual uniform of the House of Gryffindor.
The tie, however, was sloppyly knotted together and his cloak was full of wrinkles.
The hair was shoulders long and wavy and, unlike Severus, washed.
Yet Sirius looked a little scruffy beside Remus.
"B-But how? How does Black get into the o-office all of a sudden?", asked Severus in a trembling voice, clutching Lily's arm.
He couldn't explain how Sirius was able to enter the room without making a noise.
"Do you remember what Lily asked you a few moments ago?", said Sirius in a deep voice, "Do you know what an Animagus is?"
Yes, Severus remembered that question.
A thought crossed his mind.
Could Black possibly be an Animagus?
After all, he was a very talented wizard. It would be possible, no question.
"Ah, now you check it, Snivellus.", Sirius laughed mockingly as he recognized the sparkles in Severus' pitch-black eyes.
"Don't call him that, or I'll hex you!", Lily hissed angrily, staring at Sirius with a grim look.
Severus and Remus looked at each other in shock. It was extremely rare for Lily to get so angry. Even Remus, who had spent more time with her than Severus, seemed quite astonished at Lily's fit of rage.
"Yes, whatever.", Sirius continued, and seemed not to take Lily's warning seriously.
Severus clung tighter to Lily's arm.
For some reason he had a certain reverence for Sirius. Sirius was so confident and proud of himself that Severus was intimidated. Next to Sirius, he looked like a weak looser.
"But yes, I am an Animagus. I have the ability to turn into a dog. More precisely, I turn into Padfoot every now and then", Sirius explained bored, as if it were the most normal thing in the world to be an Animagus, "I think if Snivellus could turn into an animal, he would be a cockroach or a dung beetle."
Lily jumped out of nowhere, pushing Severus away so that he accidentally smashed his head against a chair.
"That's enough!", she screamed and pointing her wand at Sirius, who laughed loudly at his own joke.
Now Remus had also got up and quickly placed himself between Lily and Sirius.
"Stop it! Both of you!", exclaimed Remus and spread out his arms for protection.
"He should stop insulting Sev!", screamed Lily, still pointing her wand at Sirius who was covered by Remus.
"Why are you even hanging out with that stupid snake?", said Sirius, who sat relaxed on the floor behind Remus and didn't seem to feel any fear.
"He's not stupid!", she shouted, and a light blue flash of light shot from the top of her wand.
The blue light, however, missed Sirius and crashed on the wall of the office with a loud noise.
"I said stop!", commanded Remus, who had a pearl of sweat running over his scarred face.
In utter despair, he snatched Lily's wand and threw it over to Severus, who rubbed his head in pain.
"Now sit down again and be quiet! Do you know how loud you two are? Because of you, a teacher will hear us and then we'll all be kicked out of school!", Remus said in a trembling voice.
Lily snorted furious, but knew Remus was right. She had overreacted. Lily sat down on the ground next to Severus.
"Here.", Severus whispered shyly, giving Lily her wand that Remus had thrown at him a few moments ago.
She thanked him and made it disappear in her cloak.
"I didn't do anything!", Sirius growled, "Lily attacked me!"
"Yes, because you insulted Snape! Merlin, how old are you, Sirius? Twelve ? Get your ass together!", Remus shouted back, seemingly having completely forgotten his own words that everyone should stop screaming.
Instead, he rebuked Sirius so loudly that it was possibly for the whole castle to hear.
"Don't say you're on the side of Snivellus!", shouted Sirius, clenching his fists threateningly.
"Shut up, you asshole!", Remus shouted back, trying to punch Sirius. His fist missed him by a few centimeters.
"Good evening, Lupin", a calm voice appeared.
Remus and Sirius stopped in their motion as if they were petrified.
Severus and Lily, who were sitting side by side on the ground watching the fight between the two Gryffindors, also seemed to be paralyzed.
In the door frame of the office was an old man with a long beard. He wore a magnificent cream-colored robe, which was decorated with many embroideries. On his nose he wore glasses with half-moon lenses, through which his deep blue eyes glowed.
"P-Professor Dumbledore!", Remus stuttered embarrassingly, and a dark red glow of shame lay on his scarred face.
"Oh shit", muttered Sirius, who was also frightened by the Headmaster's sudden appearance.