Choose your side

"What do you mean you have a date with Evans?", Bellatrix yelled, dropping her toast. Some students at the table turned their heads to them.
"Psssh!", Severus hissed, "Not so loud! Besides, it's not a date. It's just a meeting."
Bellatrix was now even more annoyed than before, since her toast had fallen jam-side down onto her plate.
"It's my decision, Bellatrix.", Snape growled with rage. From a distance, he saw Remus entering the Great Hall and siting down next to Peter, who was already at the Gryffindors' table.
"No, I just don't think that it's a good idea! First you disappear without telling us, then you're gone all night, and then you want to spend time with that mudblood!", she shouted angrily.
Lucius punched the table with his fist, so that his glass of pumpkin juice almost fell over.
"Enough!", Lucius snarled and pure anger sparkled in his grey eyes. Bellatrix immediately fell silent, but looked at the two boys furiously.
Without saying a word, she got up and exited the Great Hall. Shocked, Severus looked at her. He had never seen Bellatrix being this angry.
"She’s jealous and can’t handle the fact that you're going to meet Evans.", said Lucius.
Severus didn’t know whether to be angry or sad. He liked both ; Bellatrix and Lily. And he didn’t want to make one of the girls feel left out.
"Did you get your book?", asked Lucius and drank a sip of his pumpkin juice.
"No.", Severus answered and stared at the table of the Gryffindors. He saw James, Sirius, Peter and Lily getting up and leaving the Great Hall as well.
Lucius almost spit out his pumpkin juice.
"You don’t have it? What’s that supposed to mean?"
But he did not respond to Lucius' questions andstared at Remus, who was now sitting all alone at the table.
Remus looked over to the Slytherins when his green eyes met with Severus'.
"Are you even listening to me?", Lucius said, noticing that Severus was looking past him. Severus smiled shyly and continued looking into Remus' eyes.
He was still grateful for the gift he received from Remus as a thank you for helping him with the brewing of the Wolfsbane Potion.
Lucius had stopped talking by now and turned around as well.
"Oh, Lupin.", The blond Slytherin growled.
Severus raised his hand a little and waved to Remus as inconspicuously as possible.
"Look at him. Such an ugly face. And his clothes are probably already three generations old.", Lucius histed like a snake.
He would have liked to make fun of James’s friend even more if Severus had not given him a gentle push in the side.
"Remus is coming, be quiet, Lucius!", he whispered and saw him walking through the Great Hall.

"Hello, Snape! Hello, Malfoy!", Remus said with a smile.
"What do you want, Lupin?", Lucius grumbled, and dared to not even look at him.
He didn’t think halfbloods were worth his time. With Severus, however, Lucius made an exception.
"Great to see you, Lupin." , Severus greeted him.
Remus sat on the bench next to Lucius, who grimly looked at him from the side.
The hall emptied slowly. Class would start in a few minutes. "Shall we go together to Defend Against the Dark Arts?”, he asked the two Slytherins.
Lucius laughed sarcastically and pointed his wand at Remus.
"What are you up to, Lupin?"
Lucius tapped the tip of his wand against Remus' chest.
"No no, it's all right Lucius.", Severus replied to him. Remus was still smiling, but now it was more of an embarrassed smile.
Lucius lowered his arm again and the wand disappeared inside his cloak.
"You two are getting along so well all of a sudden.", The he said, looking at the two boys.
"Well, Malfoy, Snape and I ran into each other last night and-"
"Why don't we go to Defense Against the Dark Arts!", Severus interrupted him, jumping up and pulling Remus roughly behind him.
Lucius now looked even more confused than before.

"Merlin's Beard, Lupin! You can’t say we met last night!", Severus hissed and remained close to the side of the Gryffindor as they ran through the corridors.
"Doesn't Malfoy know anything about this? Didn’t you tell him?", Remus gasped and struggled to keep up with the Slytherin.
Severus shook his head.
"But why not?", Remus panted and took a deep breath when Severus finally stopped walking.
"Because he thinks I was gone all night because of the book!", he whispered, "Oh, and about the book... I really need it back."
Remus was still heavily breathing.
"It's really important, Lupin. Did you bring it?", Severus asked, looking curiously at the Gryffindor's bag.
Remus denied.
Severus was about to say something when he suddenly heard the sound of footsteps. He Immediately fell silent and Remus suppressed his loud breathing as well. They stared at the shadow, which grew larger and larger.
A few seconds later, Peter and James came around the corner.
They seemed to laugh about something. However, their laughter fell silent, and they stopped when they saw Remus and Severus.
"Moony, what did you catch us?", asked James and looked at Remus.
Threatenly, James cracked his fingers and came closer to them.
Peter stopped behind James.
"Prongs, we are just on our way to Defense Against the Dark Arts.", said Remus and and his voice was trembling slightly.
It was a nightmare for James that Remus was hanging out with his greatest enemy.
"Are we too.", he hissed, standing only a few centimetres away from Severus. He felt James' hot breath on his pale face.
The brown eyes flashed dangerously through the round glasses.
"You damn snake." , James whispered, "First you want to steal my girlfriend and now you want to steal my best friends."
Peter agreed with him, cheerfully.
It was only a matter of time before the situation would get out of control.
Remus gently pulled Severus away from James.
"Leave him alone, Prongs. I asked Snape if he would like to come with me.", he said, and bravely placed himself in front of James.
Remus didn’t really like Severus. But since he got to know him a little better while brewing the Wolfsbane Potion, he wanted to protect Severus from being bullied by James.
Suddenly, James tackled Remus and pressed him on the ground. With one hand he was choking Remus.
“Liar!”, he shouted and scratched brutally with his fingernails over the already scarred face.
Blood gushed out of Remus' eyes and mixed up with his tears.
Peter had stopped cheering and was now in a state of shock.
Remus squirmed in pain, trying to break free of the tight grip.
There was no way Severus was going to let Remus die. Quickly he thought about what he should do.
He would have preferred to call a teacher, but time he was running out of time.
Remus' face was getting paler and his movements began to slow down.
Adrenaline rushed through Severus' veins.
His black eyes sparkled when a thought crossed his mind.
A thought that was very risky.
Risky but the only helpful action he could think of at the moment.
"Sectumsempra!", Severus shouted, pointing his wand directly at James.
The sound of sharp blades cutting through James' flesh could be heard. In a split second, James' body was covered with hundreds of deep cuts.
Blood splattered against the walls.
Severus, Remus and Peter stared at James.
James tilted to the side, crashed on the ground and squirmed in pain. His eyes were wide open.
Loud and agonised screaming filled the corridor.
Remus whimpered when he realised that James was now lying in a large puddle of his own blood.
Severus lowered his wand and his body was now shaking. It was the first time he had used that spell.