Unforgivable Curses

Severus opened his deep black eyes slowly. He felt completely exhausted and tired. His gaze wandered through the room. Golden sunlight shone through the big windows and the Slytherin had to blink a few times. He had landed in the Hospital Wing of Hogwarts. Severus must have been hit by one of James' spells.
He wore an over-sized pajama made of white linen. His clothes lay carefully folded on a wooden stool beside him.
Severus noticed that bandages were wrapped around his two wrists. A little worried, he looked down to the bandage before slowly moving his wrists. He felt no pain and breathed out relieved.

"Ah, you finally woke up."
A nurse in a long red dress and apron came in. In her hand she held a small dark brown bottle, sealed with a musty cork.
"You're lucky, Snape. You only got hit by few shards. ", the nurse said with a serious expression on her face. The young Slytherin remembered the duel with James Potter in the corridor. During a spell, the display case containing the Quidditch awards was broken. Severus couldn't remember what happened after that.
The nurse placed the bottle on a small table right next to his bed and said: "Drink this Pepper Up Potion within the next hour. After that, you'll be able to participate in the school day again. "
After that sentence, she turned and left the room.

Severus took the potion in his hand. A thin layer of dust had formed on the dark brown glass.
" Why should I drink a Pepper Up Potion? I don't have a cold at all... Does anyone here have a clue about potions?", Severus muttered and put the bottle back on the table.
He got out of the warm bed, made sure he was alone, and changed.
Severus thought about what happened to James. Would James keep the incident to himself? Or would he tell everyone in the Gryffindor common room that he had won a duel against a Slytherin? And what would Lily think of him, since Severus was the one who first cast a spell.
He pulled out his schedule from his school bag and noticed that he had completely missed Potions class, as well as Herbology class. His finger went down the line.
Next, he would have Defense Against the Dark Arts with the Gryffindors. Severus didn't feel well with the fact of looking James in the eye again.
But not showing up for class was not a permanent solution either. With a sigh, he put his schedule back in his pocket and left the Hospital Wing.

There were only a few students in the corridors.
"Have you heard about the duel? Supposedly Snape attacked Potter!", a Gryffindor whispered to a group of Hufflepuffs.
"You mean that one attacked Potter?", asked one of the Hufflepuffs, pointing at Severus who was now running faster and faster through the corridor.
"Yeah, that's him, right?", a Ravenclaw shouted.
Within seconds, all the students in the hallway had turned to stare at Severus. Some laughed at him, others called him names, and one even threw a Chocolate Frog at the Slytherin.

After about 15 minutes, Severus arrived down in the dungeons, completely out of breath, and walked into the Slytherin common room. He would skip classes today for once. He didn't want to see James who would make fun of him in front of the whole class. He would get his book from the artifact room tonight. Right now, Severus just wanted to rest for a while.
With a sigh, he dropped himself on the couch in front of the fireplace. He could feel the soft heat of the fire on his face. The crackling of the wood echoed through the empty room. Tired, the Slytherin laid his head on the back of the couch and closed his eyes. He would prefer to be alone in the common room forever. Probably all of Hogwarts had already heard about the duel. And anyone would blame Severus. Because his house has had a bad reputation for years. No one would believe it was a Gryffindor who had threatened a Slytherin. If he had known what was going to happen today, he wouldn't have got out of bed in the first place.

Severus almost fell from the couch when the door to the common room blew open with a loud bang.
"We've looked everywhere, he can only be here, Luc-Sevy!"
Now he was wide awake again and looked into the happy and relieved face of Bellatrix. Behind her was Lucius, who also looked very relieved. The girl jumped over to the black-haired Slytherin and hugged him so tightly that Severus could hardly breathe.
"Where the hell have you been? We searched the whole school for you!" said Lucius, who sat down on diagonally across from him.
"Yes, the whole school! Lucius and I were afraid that you had fled to Hogsmeade!", Bellatrix added.
Severus sighed and sits upright to tell his friends the whole story.

"As I was on my way to get my book when Potter crossed my way.", he told, pausing when Bellatrix screwed up her face at the name Potter.
"I knew that Potter couldn't be trusted. I'm suspicious of his friends, too. ", Bellatrix commented, who by now had removed her cloak and made herself comfortable next to Severus on the couch.
"Anyway. . . " he continued, "we were dueling. And then I woke up in the Hospital Wing. That's all I can remember. "

Lucius looked at his friend's face, leaned forward and whispered: "Why didn't you use one of the Unforgivable Curses? I thought you mastered this kind of black magic?"
Bellatrix agreed with the blonde Slytherin with a quick nod.
"Are you crazy, Lucius?" Severus histed, "I want to become a professor at Hogwarts. Do you think the Ministry doesn't care if I put an Unforgivable Curse on a student?"

He got up from the couch and stood in front of the fireplace. The fire reflected in his deep black eyes. Severus could easily put an Unforgivable Curse on James. But the consequences would impact the rest of his life. And the chance of landing in Azkaban for that was enormously high.
As tempting as it would have been to see the light fade from James' eyes, Severus was able to pull himself together every time.
Behind him, Lucius cleared his throat and said: "We should make our way to the Great Hall. Dinner will start soon."

The friends left the common room and made their way to the Great Hall. In the corridors, students began to whisp when they saw the three Slytherins.
Severus, with his head down, tried to escape the judging gazes. His duel with James really seemed to have spread like wildfire. Surely there were the craziest rumors and theories about how it could ever come to this.

After a few minutes they reached the Garge Hall. It was almost completely filled with students, which Severus saw as an opportunity to get his book from the artifact room.
"You guys go in, I'll be right back. " the black-haired Slytherin whispered and looked around uncertainly.
"Are you sure you want to go alone? I can come with you.", offered Lucius.
But he denied Lucius' offer. Bellatrix wished him good luck and promised him that she would keep a seat for him.

Severus did not meet anyone in the corridors. Nevertheless, he turned around a few times to make sure no one was follow him. At the end of a long corridor, only a few meters away, he saw the wooden door of the artifact room. Relieved, he pulled his wand out of his cloak and opened the door with an "Alohomora!".
Now he would grab his book and leave.
"What the-?", Severus said and stepped back in shock. On the floor sat a boy with brown hair, his face covered with scars. He wore a cloak that was at least two sizes too big for him. The patch on his cloak indicated that it must have been a Gryffindor. In the room was a steaming cauldron in which a yellow liquid was bubbling. A disgusting smell spread.

"Get out, Snape!" the boy screamed and tried to cover the cauldron with his hands. But Severus did not leave the room.
"Get out of here!" the boy screamed again and sounded more desperate than angry. The Slytherin locked the door behind him and crossed his arms thoughtfully.
The Gryffindor seemed familiar to him.
"Is it you, Lupin?" Severus asked cautiously.