The secret boy

Lily was the first in the group to walk carefully and slowly into Dumbledore's office. The room was covered in heavy shadows, which pulled up on the walls and flooded the ceiling with pure darkness. The only source of light was a round basin in a dark corner of the office that shimmered in a light blue colour. Lily screwed up her eyes, hoping to see a little more.
"Professor?" She called, "Professor Dumbledore, sir? Are you there?"
No Answer.
Lily stepped further into the office.
The floor was at least as dark as the ceiling, which through its blackness appeared massive and heavy, as if it could crush a person with its shadows.
Lily pulled out her wand and pointed at the center of the room.
"Homenum revelio.", She whispered nervously.
Nothing happened.
"We're alone.", Lily said, but didn't seem particularly reassured. With a skillful movement of the hand she performed a Wand-Lighting Charm.
The office was no longer completely dark.
Here and there the outlines of the individual furnishings, such as tables or chairs, could now be seen. Many small glass sculptures, which were distributed throughout the room, sparkled in the glow of the light.
Close behind her was Severus, who walked slightly hunched, as if he were afraid that the many portraits would humiliate him with their looks. And although every single portrait was sunk into a deep sleep and leaned peacefully against its picture frame, Severus got the feeling that he was being watched. He glanced quickly over to the painting of the red-haired wizard who once made fun of him during his conversation with Dumbledore and Slughorn.
Severus let out a relieved breath when he saw the empty painting behind the Headmaster's table.
Remus and Padfoot entered the office last. Like Lily, he had his wand in his hand and looked around fearfully.
"If I get caught, I can throw my Prefect badge in the bin.", Remus whispered worriedly and looked down at Padfoot, who raised his head in agreement and panted excitedly.
The office had a strange smell of its own. It smelled musty and at the same time like freshly washed curtains. But the smell of Padfoot's dirty fur was still in the air and Severus wrinkled his nose as if he was about to sneeze.
"I wonder where he is?", Lily whispered and pointed with her wand at the many glass sculptures that glittered in different colors and shapes. She randomly grabbed a figure that had the shape of a red stag and looked at it bored.
"I wonder if Dumbledore has a preference for stags?", Lily giggled and carefully put the red sculpture back in its place.
Her eyes lingered on the figure for a few seconds.
"A stag ... wait a minute!", Lily shouted and jumped in the air.
Severus, who was busy sneaking around in circles to make sure that every portrait was asleep and not spying on them, turned around to Lily.
"Did you find something?", he asked and looked at Lily, who excitedly pointed to the red deer figure.
Padfoot, who had lain down on the floor tiredly, also looked up.
"Moony, a stag! A stag!", Lily screamed excitedly and could barely breathe.
Remus looked at her completely overwhelmed and didn't seem to know what was going on.
"Yes, and what is so special about it?", he asked hesitantly and laughed nervously.
"A stag! Merlin, don't you get it? We'll use the map to find Dumbledore!", Lily exclaimed euphorically and stared at Remus with a proud smile.
Remus looked confused until after a moment he too understood what Lily was meaning.
"You're right! The map, how could I have forgotten that?", he said, groaning and slapping his hand against his forehead. Immediately he looked in the inside pocket of his cloak for the map, which seemed to be of great importance.
Padfoot jumped around in a circle, accidentally knocking over a couple of old, mysterious measuring instruments on a wobbly wooden table. Lily winced at the noise and swore quietly.
"I'm sorry if I disturb your joy.", Severus said and hurried over to Lily to help her pick up the measuring instruments, "But what kind of map are you talking about? And what does this ugly glass figure have to do with it?"
Remus was so busy searching that he overheard Severus' question.
"It's a magical map that was invented by James, Remus, Sirius and Peter.", Lily explained, running her wand over the broken pieces of the wooden table.
"A magical map? And it does what?", Severus asked and diligently picked up the remaining measuring instruments from the floor.
He certainly knew that Potter and his friends were talented wizards. But that they had managed to create a magical map on their own amazed Severus.
"The map shows the location of everyone who is currently at Hogwarts.", Lily said.
Severus' black eyes wandered over to Remus, who was triumphantly holding a yellowed and wrinkled parchment in one hand.
"I found it! I found it!", he shouted, holding up the parchment, confident of victory.
Severus, who had hoped to see a pompous map, frowned.
"That's a piece of blank parchment," he mumbled disappointed.
Remus chuckled and grinned.
"Don't judge this piece of parchment, Snape. Just wait and see!", he said proudly.
Remus squeezed between Severus and Lily, took out his wand and carefully touched the center of the parchment with the tip.
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!", Remus whispered melodically.
Severus leaned curiously over the parchment. And indeed something happened.
A spot of scarlet paint appeared from the tip of the wand, spreading more and more across the surface of the parchment.
After a short while, the movement of the color patch stopped. What was now on display was a small caricature of an old building that was supposed to represent a part of Hogwarts.
Severus slowly ran his finger over the now labeled piece of parchment.
"Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers are proud to present the Marauder's Map.", Severus read the inscription of the map out loud.
His finger stopped at the name 'Padfoot'. Something felt strange.
Severus read the name over and over and was amazed to find that he hadn't misread it.
How could a dog have helped create a magical map?
"I think the map is broken. It says 'Padfoot' here!", he said, tapping on the name with his index finger.
Remus' grin disappeared. Embarrassed, he scratched his neck and cleared his throat.
"Oh, you are probably right, Snape.", Remus stuttered and pushed Severus' finger, which was still on the name, aside.
Lily snorted angrily and quickly snatched the map from Remus. She stared at him, her expression furious.
"What nonsense, Moony! Sev is a friend of ours now, why shouldn't he know the secret of the Marauders?", Lily growled and firmly clutched the parchment with her fingers.
Padfoot, who had just walked calmly through the office and had looked around very carefully, stopped and looked over at Lily with his glowing eyes that sparkled scary and mysterious in the weak light. He raised his black ears carefully.
"Are you sure, Lily? Don't you think you're going a little too far?", Remus asked, reaching for the map unsuccessfully.
"Of course I am sure! If anyone can keep a secret, it's Sev!", Lily exclaimed, her cheeks glowing a delicate pink.
Remus sighed and suddenly he looked pretty exhausted.
"Yes, but Prongs will be incredibly angry. You know how much he hates Snape!", he replied and his eyes were longingly fixed on the parchment.
"I don't care! Prongs has to deal with the fact that Sev and I are friends and that I trust him!", Lily growled and the pink on her face turned dark red.
Severus' head constantly turned to Remus and Lily, making him a little dizzy.
"Well, we'll tell him then."
Lily hesitantly handed the map back to Remus. He carefully opened the map, which had got even more crinkles from Lily's firm grip.
Nobody said a word.
Severus watched in silence as Remus went through the map, apparently looking for something. Fascinated by the fact that the names of the people who were currently in the castle were actually moving, Severus leaned over the parchment again.
So Lily wasn't lying. The map was real.
"So... here we are." Remus whispered after turning through several the pages for a while.
With the tip of his wand he pointed to a marked room labeled 'Headmaster's Office'. In the 'Headmaster's Office' there were four name tags that gave information about the position of the people in the room.
Severus leaned closer to the map so that the tips of his jet black hair gently touched the surface of the yellowed parchment.
" 'Remus Lupin', 'Severus Snape', 'Lily Evans'.", Severus read out loud and his mouth dropped in shock as he read the last name, " 'Sirius Black'."