Lily's sorrow

Remus had to pull himself together not to vomit. James' cut up body lay unmoving in the huge puddle of blood on the floor. Only the slight rise and fall of his chest showed that he was still alive. Eyes now closed from exhaustion, James' glasses were covered in blood as well. Peter had fainted and was lying a few metres away from him.
"What just happened?", Remus asked in a trembling voice. A part of James' chest was torn open so deeply that the bones of his ribcage were revealed. His elbow was twisted and splintered.
Remus clung to the wall with one hand, because the longer he looked at the mutilated body, the more he felt the need to throw up.
"A spell." , Severus whispered and also stared at James. He didn't realise how much damage a spell he created could do. Remus was feeling off and muttered a few incomprehensible sentences. Severus' hands became sweaty when he thought about the fact that he might be sent to Azkaban for attacking James. From a distance, he heard footsteps rushing towards him.
Severus was getting overwhelmed. What should he do now? Should he run away? Should he hand himself over to the teachers and confess that he almost killed a student? What would Lily say? Should he even tell her?
The footsteps came closer and closer. Remus turned to Severus with a pale face, equally unsure what they should do.
"Come on, let's get out of here!"

Severus and Remus ran undetected through Hogwarts for half an hour until they found an empty classroom in the West Tower and used it as their hiding place.
Severus sealed the lock of the door with a spell so that no one could enter the room. Out of breath and still completely confused, what just happened, Remus sat down on a dusty teacher's desk. He wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand. He was still pale in his face.
"We are safe for now.", said Severus, looking around the dark classroom. The windows had been nailed with heavy wooden boards. Only a few rays of sunlight gave the classroom the light it needed to see something.
Benches, desks and books were spread across the entire classroom, as if a storm would ravaged the classroom.
"Will he make it? James?", Remus asked, having recovered from all the running by now. Severus turned to Remus. His face was almost completely shadowed by the dim light.
"Listen to me, Lupin. I need that damn book. Otherwise, I won't be able to cure Potter."
Remus opened his mouth as if he had a realization, but closed it again. Silently, he looked at Severus.
"Only I can save him from death. Only I know the appropriate counter curse."

The Gryffindor Common Room was, as so often, quite crowded. After class, many students stopped by to drop off their books, take a break or do their homework.
"I think it's weird that after all these months of barely speaking to each other, you want to get back in touch with Snape.", said Sirius and sat down next to Lily on the sofa in front of the fireplace. Lily, who had put on a new shirt especially for her meeting with Severus, quickly closed her small backpack, which she carried with her.
"We just want to chat a little, Sirius.", explained Lily and quickly put the backpack between her feet.
Sirius leaned forward and looked curiously at the backpack.
"What's that in there? Is it a love letter to Snape?", he asked and grinned. Lily rolled her eyes, the backpack now pressed even more firmly between her feet.
"I need help with my essay on potions." , she replied, hoping Sirius would fall for the lie.
Sirius nodded calmly and closed his eyes to enjoy the warmth of the fireplace.
Lily looked out the window in a dream. She had been looking forward to meeting Severus all day. Because ever since she was with James, she'd lost all contact with the Slytherin.
Lily was ripped out of her rosy thoughts when someone rushed through the portrait hole and almost ran over another student.
"No student leaves the Gryffindor Common Room! Did you hear that? Nobody leaves our common room! Everybody stay here!"
Everyone in the common room was silent and looked over to the portrait hole.
It was Professor Minerva McGonagall, teacher of Transfiguration, Head of Gryffindor House and Deputy Headmistress.
"Where are your prefects?", asked Professor McGonagall and stared with her green eyes into the many faces of confused students.
Lily slowly rose from the sofa.
"I'm here, Professor. But Lupin is not.", announced Lily, picked up her backpack and made a few steps forward.
All the eyes of the Gryffindors had been on her.
Full of fear about what was about to happen, everyone stopped breathing for a second.
"Please follow me, Evans. I need to talk to you alone.", ordered Professor McGonagall.

Lily walked along the long corridors of Hogwarts with Professor McGonagall. She didn't know what had happened and thought about all the events of the day. Had she broken the rules? Was her work as a prefect deficient and thus not further required? On her chest proudly gleamed the crimson prefect badge.
"Um, excuse me.", Lily said softly, looking up into the worried face of her teacher. But Professor McGonagall didn't answer and didn't seem to care about Lily's question. Lily had a bad feeling. Professor McGonagall was very a strict teacher, but she was still a very helpful and warm-hearted person. It was unusual that she didn't respond to a student's question.
Meanwhile it had started to rain. Heavy raindrops fell from the dark grey and dense clouds in the sky and rumbled violently against the windows.
Professor McGonagall and Lily walked silently next to each other before they stopped at the door of the Hospital Wing.
"Please don't be too shocked, Evans. He doesn't look good.", said Professor McGonagall and knocked on the door.
An icy wind blew through the dark corridor. Lily shuddered as the cold wind, which felt like a snowstorm, blew through her ginger hair.
It didn't take too long before a young lady in a long red dress and white apron opened the door for them.
"Ah, it's you.", said the lady, who also looked rather depressed, "Will you come in, Minerva?"
"No, I'm not, Poppy. I have to get back to my class. Please make sure Miss Evans doesn't get too frightened, will you?"
The lady, who turned out to be Madam Poppy Pomfrey, nodded silently. Professor McGonagall turned around and quickly disappeared down the long corridor. Madam Pomfrey smiled lovingly and Lily entered the Hospital Wing.

The beds were all empty. Only one was occupied.
It was at the very back of the room and was closed off from the rest by green curtains. Everyone at Hogwarts knew that when a bed was covered in green curtains, it didn't bode well. Because it meant that the person lying in such a bed had sustained a serious or life-threatening injury.
"Who's lying there?", Lily asked and was feeling anxious. Madam Pomfrey sighed and placed her hand on the student's shoulder in sympathy.
The rain was crashing furiously against the windows, so that you would think they would break at any moment.
"Mister Potter, my dear.", she whispered softly, feeling Lily wince at the name of her boyfriend. Madam Pomfrey opened the green curtains.
Without any movement, James was lying in the bed. His pitch black hair was blood-crusted and stuck together. His glasses had been taken off. James' face was almost completely wrapped in bandages. Only his mouth, nose and the area around his eyes had not been cured.
The blood, however, continued to seep through the white bandages and stained them dark red.
James' breathing was so shallow that Lily feared his heart would stop beating at any moment. Lily gently placed her hand on his cheek.
"Oh James." , she muttered and a tear dripped down on the blanket that covered the rest of his mutilated body.
"Mister Potter is still alive. But the bleeding can't be stopped. I have already tried several spells and potions, but none seem to work.", explained Madam Pomfrey.
A lightning bolt struck a nearby tree, illuminating the hospital wing with bright white light for a second.
"Do you know what happened?", Lily asked, rubbing her teary eyes. Madam Pomfrey began to peel off the bandages soaked in blood from James' face.
"No, I'm sorry but we don't know anything, my dear. We found Mister Potter and Mister Pettigrew in a corridor near the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Mister Pettigrew only had minor injuries and was already able to leave the Hospital Wing."
It felt like Lily had been kicked in the stomach when she caught sight of the deep cuts on James' face. Instead of an eschar forming, the blood rushed out unusually fast.
Quickly, Madam Pomfrey wrapped seven fresh bandages around his head.
"It's almost as if Mister Potter is suffering from unknown curse, Miss Evans.", Madam Pomfrey sighed, sounding as if she herself didn't believe that a student at Hogwarts could use an unknown curse.
Another lightning bolt struck a tree.