The last battle

Lily grabbed Severus' hand. In fear, she stared over at Professor Dumbledore, who had crossed his arms in front of his long, snow-white beard. However, Dumbledore did not seem angry or mad. A strange calm aura filled the room, as if it were the most normal thing in the world for students to break into Dumbledore's office.
Sirius and Remus, who had been screaming at each other until a few seconds ago and were about to brutally injure each other, stood next to each other without saying a single word.
Professor Dumbledore cleared his throat and looked at Sirius and Remus.
"Well.", Dumbledore began, turning to Sirius, "I hope there's a good reason why you broke into my office without permission? You're not allowed to be outside your Common Room, Black."
The Headmaster's deep blue eyes sparkled curiously behind the well-shaped half moon lenses of his glasses.
Sirius said nothing and looked at the ground with embarrassment. Although he was used to violating all school rules, Sirius seemed more fearful and ashamed than ever before.
"Actually.", Dumbledore continued, "I only had given Lupin and Evans permission to stay outside the Gryffindor Tower."
Lily shuddered when he mention her. Her hands clung tighter to those of Severus. She started to shake all over her body, her beautiful eyes wide open with fear.
"I thought we had already talked about your promise, Black?",Dumbledore asked calmly, "You swore to me that you would no longer misuse your Animagus abilities to cause mischief. Remember, Black? It was your words."
"I haven't misused my abilities!", exclaimed Sirius bitterly.
Remus looked up frightened, as if he couldn't believe that his best friend gave contradictions.
"Be quiet!", Remus whispered, "You're only making the situation worse, Padfoot!."
"No, shut up, Moony!", Sirius shouted angryly, "I haven't isused my abilities!"
Severus felt like he was in the middle of a trial. He watched Sirius, who apparently had to pull himself together, not to grab his wand and attack Dumbledore.
"You turned into a dog to break out of the Gryffindor Common Room. You sneaked through the corridors without permission. You damaged a valuable portrait and helped to break into my office. All with the help of your privilege of being an Animagus. I'm sorry, Black, but you broke your promise.", said Dumbledore as he walked up and down, occasionally looking at Severus.
"That's not true! I didn't misuse my abilities! How many times do you want to hear this?", Sirius shouted in hate. He pulled out his wand and pointed it threateningly at Professor Dumbledore. Remus gasped in shock and rushed over to Sirius to snatch his wand.
"Are you insane? You can't threaten a teacher, Padfoot!", Remus yelled while he tried to steal the wand.
"Stop it!", cried Lily and her voice trembled.
Severus, who was still sitting next to Lily, would have liked to something. He felt stupid not to be able to contribute something to the current situation. But the fear, which seemed to eat him up from inside, numbed his throat. Severus was upset to see two best friends fighting because of him. He never wanted anyone to get hurt because of him. Never.
Sirius finally succeeded in pushing Remus away from him. He crashed on the ground with a loud moan.
Sirius looked down at his friend, apparently shocked at how forcefully he had punched Remus in the face.
"I will attack anyone who stands in the way of the truth! I want to make some things clear! Here and now!", Sirius growled, looking at Dumbledore with a disdainful look, his wand still firmly in his hand.
"I don't care that you're lying to me. But I do care that you lie to yourself, Black.2, said Dumbledore with a calm voice that provoked Sirius' anger even more.
"Padfoot, drop your wand!", cried Remus, who was still lying on the floor. But Sirius did not pay attention to his friend. He was fixated on one thing; The truth.
Sirius wanted to prove to Dumbledore that he hadn't misused his abilities for fun. He wanted to prove he wasn't a liar.
Severus already had a premonition that the situation could escalate every second.
What was he supposed to do now? What was the smartest way to avoid an escalation? Severus looked at Lily, who had clung to his arm and looked with a throbbing heart at Sirius and Dumbledore.
Severus carefully pulled out his wand, but let it disappear unnoticed in his sleeve.
"It will be all right.", Severus whispered to her, lovingly kissing her glowing cheeks.
Lily looked at him desperately. Tears ran down her pretty face. Several strands of hair stuck to her sweaty forehead.
"What are you going to do?", Lily asked nervously, seeming to have noticed something in Severus' sleeves, "Is that your wand, Sev?"
"It's going to be all right.", he repeated, smiling softly, hoping Lily wouldn't ask again.
For a moment, she looked at him in disbelief. Then Lily nodded and turned her head back to Sirius and Dumbledore.
"Why won't you listen to me? This is a big misunderstanding! I can explain to you why I ran out of the Common Room! Why I sneaked through the corridors as a dog and destroyed the portrait together with Lupin, Evans and Snape! But you won't let me finish, damn it!", shouted Sirius, gasping for air, as if he hadn't breathed properly in years, "Stupefy!"
Severus had jumped up and threw himself right between Sirius and Dumbledore. It felt like everything was happening in slow motion.
Lily, who threw her hands in front of her mouth.
Remus, whose scars and eyes shone in the glow of the spell.
Dumbledore, who quietly stroked his beard and made no attempt to move even an inch.
Sirius holding his wand with while his grey eyes focused the Headmaster.
Everything seemed as if the world just stopped for a brief moment.
Severus stood in front of Dumbledore and pulled out his wand.
"Protego!", he shouted. The illusion of slow motion was gone.
A white shield appeared around him and Dumbledore. With a loud noise, the spell of Sirius struck the shield. Hot air whipped through Severus' black hair. He squinted his eyes and now held his wand with both hands. Never before had he dueled with Sirius. And he never expected what a powerful wizard Sirius was.
Severus' wand became glowing hot, causing painful small fire bubbles to form on the palms of his hands. He had the feeling that the air around him was getting hotter the more angry Sirius got.
And though it would have been so easy to lower the wand to ease the pain on his palms, Severus continued to fight.
Bringing out the truth by force was not an option.
"Padfoot, that's enough! Stop it!"
It was Remus who limped to Sirius on shaky legs and tried again to snatched the wand from him.
"Please, stop it!", he begged.
And in fact, the hot wind blowing through Severus's raven-black hair faded from second to second, until after a few moments it disappeared completely. At the same time, the whiteshield that separated Severus and Sirius broke. The pleasant cold of the office felt wonderfully refreshing on Severus' burnt hands.
The duel was over. Both wizards dropped their wands. The sparkling grey eyes of Sirius, which seemed so soft and yet so rough, met the pitch-black eyes of Severus, which seem so mysterious and enchanted as an unsolvable riddle.
"He did it because of me.", Severus said as he turned around to Dumbledore, "Black took all these risks just because of me. He's not lying. He didn't misuse his abilities. Please, sir, please believe Black."
Dumbledore looked at Sirius, who breathed quickly in and out with his mouth open.
"But why would Sirius Black want to help you, Snape? I thought you and Black were enemies?", asked Dumbledore, lifting one of his bushy eyebrows.
In a way, he was right. Sirius and Severus were not friends, but since the mission with the portrait, they were no longer enemies.
"We are friends, Headmaster.", said Sirius resolutely.
Severus wasn't sure if Sirius was lying or not. Had a friendship really developed between them? Did Sirius really see him as a friend?
"He's a brave man, Professor. Snape helped my friend Lupin brew the Wolfsbane Potion, even though Lupin is a good friend of Potter. Despite the fact that Lupin and I often bullied Snape, he stood up for my friend. Because he cared for Lupin.", Sirius explained with pure conviction.
Remus and Lily smiled, apparently glad that the terrible rivalry between Severus and Sirius was finally over.
"Not to forget that he stood up for me when Potter and Pettigrew wanted to attack me!", Remus quickly entered the conversation. "He showed courage and bravery! Right, Severus? Do you remember? It happened when we were on our way to Defence Against the Dark Arts!"
Remus smiled, his green eyes seemed to grow with every breath he took. Lily nodded in agreement and a big smile was also visible on her lips.
It was a strange and unknown feeling that Sirius and Remus spoke so positively about Severus. Could he believe their words?
Were Sirius and Remus really serious about what they said? After all, Severus suffered for so many years because of their bullying. And that torment had left its mark. But the fact that it warmed Severus' heart was definitely undeniable. It had been a wonderful feeling when he and Remus decided to become friends and stop fighting. And now even Sirius Black, who was far more popular than Severus, treated him like a good friend. es, it warmed his heart. It felt wonderful.
"O-Oh, that was just a small thing.", Severus stammered, and a reddish glow spread across his snow-white cheeks, "Just an ordinary little thing."
"Just a little thing?", Sirius' voice echoed through the office and he laughed coldly, "I don't think James would ever have stood up for you if Malfoy and my brainless cousin had threatened you. He would have probably joined them to beat you to death."
Lily's smile disappeared. She tilted her head down and looked on the ground. Lily seemed to be devastated by the fact that James Potter was so cold-hearted, ruthless and selfish. Remus' smile also faded slowly.
"I don't think James would have helped you with a potion either. You were my saviour back then, Severus. If you hadn't helped me brew the Wolfsbane Potion, I would have turned into a werewolf again.", said Remus in a subdued voice, looking at Severus with glassy eyes.
Severus didn't know what to say. He was flattered that Sirius and Remus defended him in front of Dumbledore, but at the same time he was incredibly uncomfortable. They spoke of him as if he were a hero fighting for peace and justice. I'm just a normal boy, Severus thought. He didn't know how to handle the situation.
Seeking help, he turned to Professor Dumbledore, who had listened attentively.
In silence, Severus looked into the Headmaster's deep blue eyes, hoping that he would finally break the unpleasant silence.