Lupin's secret

"Nox.", Severus whispered and the small spark of light at the end of his wand went out. A handful of candles lit up part of the room. It took a few seconds for the Slytherin's eyes to adjust to the darkness.
The door slammed shut.
He still hoped that it was really important and that Lily didn't trap him. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, Severus recognized the silhouette of a person sitting on the ground just a few meters from him.
"I'm glad you came. ", the Silhouette said.
The voice revealed that it had to be a boy.
The boy stood up and extended his hand in greeting.
"And with whom do I have the pleasure?", Severus replied, trying to sound more composed than he actually was.
The boy laughed and a tiny spark of light on the tip of his wand immediately appeared when he said "Lumos!".
Severus sighed in relief when he looked into the familiar face of Remus.
"Well well, Lupin. And what brings us together tonight?", Severus said, looking deprecatingly at one of the candles, "Didn't know you had such a romantic side."
He didn’t trust Remus at all. It must have been some stupid prank by James.
Just as Severus was about to turn around and leave the Artifact Room, Remus quickly grabbed his wrist.
"Please, don’t go.", Remus said, still clutching his wrist tightly, "You’re the only one who can help me!"
His voice sounded desperate.
"All right, I'll stay. But now tell me what's going on!", Severus hissed, tearing away from Remus in annoyance. The Gryffindor pulled a large heavy cauldron out of one of the many shelves and carefully placed it on the floor. Remus then pulled out several small vials and flasks out of his school bag and gently placed them next to the cauldron.
Would he want to brew potions with him just before midnight?
And if so, what was so important that it had to happen unobserved and secretly in the Artifact Room?
"Well, let's begin!", said Remus with joy. He looked at Severus, who had crossed his arms and looked more confused than ever.
The two students sat down on the floor opposite the cauldron.
Remus took a deep breath and said: “First of all, I am thankful that you're here, Snape. There is something you should know."
"Finally.", Severus growled impatiently.
Remus laughed in embarrassment and blushed.
"I’m not sure how to tell you, Snape. But I think, since I need your help, I have to reveal my secret to you."
Severus nodded in agreement without saying anything.
"I’m different. I am a werewolf.", he whispered as quiet as possible.
It was quiet for a few seconds.
Remus stared at the empty cauldron in front of him in shame.
"So it's true.", said the Slytherin, and seemed to pierce Remus with his gaze, "And I have always wondered why you disappeared on full moon with your pathetic friends."
Severus picked up one of the many vials lying on the ground in front of the two students. A black liquid sparkled in it.
"And you’re asking me to help you brew the Wolfsbane Potion, right?” he asked, a little bit of aversion passed through his calm voice.
Remus nodded.
Severus sighed in annoyance and rolled up the sleeves of his sweater.
"I’ll make the potion for you, Lupin."

It took forever to brew the potion. When Severus dropped the last ingredient, monkshood, into the cauldron, the potion turned into a deep and dark blue.
A bitter smell rose in Remus' nose and he wriggled his face in disgust.
"Who else brewed the Wolfsbane Potion for you?", asked the Slytherin, and with a rusty ladle scooped some of the potion into a cup.
"Professor Slughorn. But he didn’t make it in time and so-"
"So you're asking me, even though you can't stand me.", Severus interrupted him and handed him the cup.
Remus almost burned his fingers because the cup was extremly hot. His green eyes stared at the tiny blue clouds of steam floating on the surface of the potion. "Thank you.", Remus said, carefully taking small sips of the bitter potion.

The morning sunlight shone through the gap between the floor and the door. They had spent all night brewing the Wolfbane Potion.
Remus stretched and rubbed his tired eyes.
"Hard to believe we've been here all night.", he laughed, trying to break the silence that was between him and Severus for hours.
But Severus didn't address the comment and placed the now cooled cauldron back on the shelf.
He wasn't sure if he could trust Remus or not. Because revealing the secret that he was a werewolf was too risky to be a silly prank.
"This is for you, Snape."
Severus had been snapped out of his thoughts and turned around.
Remus had a small  bag made out of brown linen fabric in his hand and handed it to Severus.
Never before had anyone, exept for Lucius and Bellatrix, given him a present.
Hesitantly, he took the small bag and opened it. A few golden coins appeared.
“Five Sickles.", Remus said, "It’s not much, but I still want to give you something. After all, you helped me."
Remus left the Artifact Room with a smile.
Severus stared at the coins.
Did Remus Lupin, a friend of his enemy James Potter, actually give him a present?
Out of pure goodness?
Confused, he scratched the back of his head before he also left the room.

In the meantime, it was shortly after 7am. A few students were already up and walked through the cold corridors of Hogwarts.
Some were wearing their school uniforms and some were sneaking around in their pyjamas.
Severus thought about what he should do until the beginning of class. He didn't want Lucius to yell at him for not returning to the Slytherin dormitory that night. Not this early in the morning. And he also didn’t want to sit alone in the Great Hall while having breakfast and occasionally see James.
Then he had an idea.
He’d tell Lily that he helped Remus with his potion's problem.

It was the first time that he went to the tower of the Gryffindors.
"Slytherins are not welcome here!", a student shouted at him who had just come through the portrait hole.
But Severus ignored the nagging and leaned against the wall. Now he would wait.
Tired, he closed his eyes for a moment. He would like to lie down in his bed and sleep for three days straight.
Someone came through the portrait hole again.
Severus tiredly opened his eyes and saw Lily’s long ginger hair.
Immediately, his heart began to beat faster.
His mouth went dry and his body started shaking.
"Good morning, Lily!", Severus said and pushed himself away from the wall, nearly losing his balance.
Lily looked around in confusion until she looked into her friend's pale face.
She approached him with open arms and hugged the Slytherin. Lily had tears of joy in her eyes and began to sob.
Severus' heart was still pounding. He even feared that Lily might hear his rapid heartbeat.
"Thank you so much for helping Remus.", she cried and snugged herself more on the boy's body.
Severus stroked her back gently.
"No problem, no problem.", he muttered.
It felt good to hug Lily.
It felt good when she was with him.
Lily made Severus the happiest boy in the world.

After a while, Lily pushed herself away from his chest and wipe the tears from her face.
"Would you like to have a Butterbeer with me?", Severus asked shyly and looked at the ground embarrassed.
"A Butterbeer?", repeated Lily.
Severus felt his palms become sweaty.
"A-As friends, of course!", he added while stuttering.
"I would very much like to have a Butterbeer with you. What do you think of today after class?", she asked happily.
Severus blushed and nodded.
It felt like thousands of butterflies were rushing through his body.
"Wonderful! See you later, Sev.", the girl giggled and left the tower.
When Lily was out of sight, Severus jumped in a circle and chuckled.
It’s been weeks since he spent time alone with Lily.
And already today he would have a Butterbeer with her.