A matter of trust

Severus' throat went dry and a few seconds passed in silence. It felt good to finally be able to reveal his secret to someone. Lily looked deep into Severus' eyes. Her beautiful, delicate face turned white. In Lily's eyes, though, Severus could tell that Lily believed him.
Lily picked up her wand again and pointed it at Severus' broken and bleeding nose.
"Episkey."
A horrible pain ran through Severus' nose and he squinted his eyes.
"Thank you, Lily. ", he gasped, and the thin, glowing threads that had knotted his legs together were gone. Severus got himself back on his feet and held onto the massive banister.
"So you're going to save James, right?", Lily asked, and it almost sounded like a command.
Severus hated James. He never liked the Gryffindor. And Severus would probably never like him. But James was important to Lily. Maybe even more important than himself. And Severus would do anything to make Lily happy. Anything.
"Yes, I will save Potter. I promise.", Severus said, his gaze locked on one of the many windows in the stairwell. The sun seemed to be setting already. "We should hurry. The teachers are probably already searching all of Hogwarts to find us.", he muttered.

The abandoned classroom was covered in complete darkness. Not even a light spell would produce enough brightness to illuminate the room even nearly.
Exhausted and with a slight headache Remus sat up. He stroked his hand through the brown hair. It took him a few seconds to remember what had happened.
"I won't forgive you for that, Snape. " Remus whispered furiously into the darkness and searched for his wand which was somewhere laying around on the dusty ground.
His memory was slowly regenerating.
Remus' heart blazed with anger, but at the same time it ached with disappointment.
He had trusted Severus. He thought Severus was a good boy with a pure heart. But Remus now regreted everything. What a fool he was to trust a Slytherin.
"Alohomora!" Remus said, pointing the tip of his wand at the door of the classroom. With a creak, it opened and Remus was overjoyed to finally see something again.
Now he also noticed that Severus had exchanged uniforms.
Remus was dressed in an emerald-green Slytherin uniform which was a bit too tight.
He looked left and right along the corridor. No one was seen.
Remus took a deep breath.
"You'll pay of that.", he hissed.

Lily and Severus sneaked quietly down the corridor to the Hospital Wing. But the two didn't know how they would get into the Hospital Wing undetected to save James.
"Do you have a plan yet for how we-," Severus said. But Lily interrupted his question as she suddenly pulled him behind an old, rusty armor by the collar of his cloak.
Severus lost control of his balance and nearly tripped. Lily pressed him against the wall behind the armor. Confused as to what had just happened, Severus looked down at Lily, who was close to his chest. She raised her index finger and placed it gently on his cold lips.
Severus' blushed at the touch.
An ice-cold and at the same time fiery-heat shower ran down his spine. Severus gently put his arms around Lily's hip to pull her closer to him. But Lily didn't seem to notice Severus' reaction.
Within seconds, Professor McGonagall appeared and ran down the corridor.
Severus now understood why Lily had pulled him and herself behind the old armor. The two students held their breaths anxiously.
"Any news, Minerva?"
It was the voice of Madam Poppy Pomfrey. The nurse seemed to be somewhere out of their sight.
"No, I'm sorry, Poppy. But I will keep looking for Lupin and Snape."
Severus put his hand in front of his mouth in fear. It really turned out that he and Remus were the only students who had disappeared since the accident.
Severus' heart was racing like crazy. His breathing became faster and erratic. It felt like he was falling into a black, endless, deep hole.
His eyes filled up with tears.
"Sev, calm down.", whispered Lily worried and looked at him with big eyes. She pressed herself even closer to his chest and placed her hand gently on his cheek.
"I will be sent to Azkaban and handed over to the Dementors.", Severus stuttered panically in a trembling voice. Thick tears rolled down his pale face.
"Don't say that, Sev. You won't go to Azkaban, I'm sure. We will find a solution.", Lily said, and tears were gathering in her eyes.
Severus' mouth became dry.
He would have liked to scream out all his frustration.
Lily turned her head to the side and saw Professor McGonagall still talking to Madam Pomfrey.
"If you wish, Minerva, I will search for Lupin and Snape with you. I am not needed at the Hospital Wing right now.", Madam Pomfrey said.
Professor McGonagall hesitated for a moment.
"All right. But first, I'll talk to Albus about what to do next. You're welcome to join me, Poppy."
Madam Pomfrey nodded in agreement and left the corridor with Professor McGonagall.
Lily turned back to Severus.
His black eyes were swollen and red from crying.
Lily wiped a tear off his cheek with her hand.
"It's going to be okay, trust me.", she whispered, hugging Severus affectionately. Severus sobbed and looked down at Lily.
A tear rolled down her face as well.
But unlike him, she smiled shyly.
"I believe in the good.", she said.
Lily now stood on her tiptoes and looked up at Severus. As he looked into the beautiful green eyes, time seemed to stand still. And again, that breathtaking feeling rushed through Severus' body. He felt wonderfully light and free. No trace of the sadness and panic that had just poisoned his heart.
"I believe in the good in you.", Lily whispered and had her arms wrapped around Severus' neck.
"Do you really mean that?", Severus asked, not knowing if it was a curse or a blessing to his heart that Lily was so close to his face.
"Yes, I'm not lying. Let me prove it.", Lily replied.
Prove it?
How would Lily be able to prove the good in him?
He didn't even understand his head or his feelings himself.
"But how will you prove it-"
But Severus couldn't finish his sentence. His words were interrupted by a soft kiss, which Lily placed gently on his lips.
He wasn't sure if he should return the kiss. Because Lily was in a relationship with James.
The temptation of kissing back was wonderful.
Severus took all of his courage and hoped that he would not regret this decision.
Carefully, he placed his lips on Lilys and kissed the girl patiently.
He had never kissed anyone before. And the feeling that his entire body was electrifying was divine. Lily's lips were fantastically soft as silk. Severus' heart felt wonderfully warm.
A dark spot behind an old, rusty armor might not have been the best place for the first kiss, but Severus didn't care about that at the moment.
It was just him and Lily and the kiss that connected them.
How much he wished that this moment between him and Lily would never end.
"This is my proof that you have a pure heart, Sev.", said Lily with a smile after she had slowly parted from Severus' lips.
Severus smiled back.
Lucius and Bellatrix would never believe what had just happened. And even if his two friends believed him, Lucius would probably say that Severus drank too much from Felix Felicis that he couldn't tell reality from dream.
"We should now get on our way to the Hospital Wing. Who knows how long we'll be unobserved.", said Lily, carefully pushing herself away from Severus.