The awkward surprise

Severus could not believe his eyes when he saw who was standing right in front of him in the middle of the Hospital Wing. He would have expected anything. But definitely not this.
"Hello, Snivellus.", James Potter growled grumpily. He had his arms crossed tightly in front of his chest, and his hazelnut-brown eyes cast a look at Severus. There were several patches on his face. A thin bandage was wrapped around his neck, which had yellowish and red stains here and there.
The curse, Sectumsempra, had distorted James' face so much that the wounds and swelling had not healed even after days.
"What is he doing here?", Severus asked Dumbledore irritatedly and did not bother to hide the hatred in his voice. First he had to leave Sirius, Remus and Lily to apparate to the Hospital Wing. Then Dumbledore refused to give him back the book. And now he was standing in front James Potter, his greatest enemy.
What in Merlin's name was going on here?
What did all this have to do with the last task? What did Professor Dumbledore say again? He should jump over his own shadow and reveal the good side of his heart?
The only thing Severus could feel in his heart right now was anger and resentment. What was the secret behind all this? Why did Dumbledore always have to speak only in riddles, Severus thought discouraged.
"What am I doing here?", James grumbled annoyed, pointing at his left cheek, which was clinging to an extra-large bandage, "You're seriously asking me what I'm doing here? Are you really that stupid, or are you just joking? You were the one who mutilated my face a few days ago! With the help of this stupid curse!"
Severus felt his palms become sweaty. He had completely forgotten what he had done to James. He was a little sorry for James that he might have to live with a scarred face from now on. On the other hand, Severus was quiet proud of himself for creating such a powerfull curse.
After all these years of bullying, it seemed fair to him that James had to now suffer as well.
"Don't talk about my book like that! It took me months to create all the spells and curses! And you, Potter, wouldn't even be able to invent a single spell! So shut up and think before you speak!", Severus roared and the words gushed out of him like a waterfall. He didn't think carefully about what he said, but let his emotions run wild. All the inner pressure that had built up since entering the Hospital Wing was finally able to escape.
James raised his eyebrows with a greasy grin.
"Oh, so it's your book? Well, of course, that makes the whole thing even more interesting. You call yourself the Half-Blood Prince? How cute."
James looked at Severus with a devastating look. Dumbledore said nothing, but listened carefully to the conversation.
"I didn't know you'd invented so many curses.", James continued his hate speech and went one step further towards Severus, "I wonder what the whole school will say about the brutal and deadly curses that innocent, shy Severus Snape invented.", he sneered amused.
Severus swallowed heavily. His throat felt numb. How could he be so stupid and indirectly tell James Potter that he's the Half-Blood Prince? If only I had thought for a moment what I'm about to say, Severus thought.
"I have to say, you're talented, Snape. But you're still-"
"How did you get your dirty hands on my book?", Severus interrupted him impatiently. There was no logical explanation how the book could be found. After all, all the houses were in their common rooms, which meant that no student could have been in the hallways.
James rolled his eyes and yawned disinterestedly.
"When I left the Hospital Wing, I went with McGonagall to the Gryffindor-Tower. Your book was just lying around on the stairs. There was blood everywhere. Did Lily beat you up? Or was it Remus and Sirius? Well, your face is ugly anyway."
"That's enough, Potter.", Professor Dumbledore entered the conversation and raised his index finger admonished.
"Okay, okay. Anyways, I handed the book over to Professor Dumbledore-", James explained bored, as if the conversation were nothing more than tedious small talk.
"To help me?", Severus interrupted him again. He remembered the words of Dumbledore. Supposedly, there was something good in every person. Is that why James gave the book to Dumbledore? Because maybe there was some reason in his selfish heart after all?
James gasped indignantly and the bandage around his neck stretched tightly over his swollen skin.
"What? No! As if I'd ever help you, Snivellus! McGonagall promised Gryffindor 50 house points if I would give the book to Professor Dumbledore. I'm sure Lily will be impressed that I've earned in so many house points!", James announced proudly, looking at his fingernails arrogantly.
Severus was not surprised that James didn't help him. Why would he? He hated James and James hated him. And yet Severus' heart filled with disappointment. A small spark of hope burning deep inside his soul was extinguished.
No, Dumbledore must have been wrong.
There was no good in James Potter.
Nothing.
Nothing at all.
"Yes, Lily must be happy about that...", Severus muttered quietly and looked at the floor frustrated.
Lily.
Only now did Severus realize how much he missed Lily. Every second without her was unbearable. I wonder what Lily is doing right now, he asked himself. Was she still in Dumbledore's office? Did Professor McGonagall take her, Sirius, and Remus back to the Gryffindor common room? Or was she sneaking through the castle to find him?
It hurt so much not being able to be with her.
"Wonderful! Now it's time to hug each other!", Dumbledore said cheerfully, as if he had good news to announce.
"W-what are we suposed to do?", Severus stuttered, looking at Dumbledore in confusion.
Did he hear him right? Or did his mind started to play games? By the way, how long has he been awake?
"Hug each other!", repeated Dumbledore solemnly while he pushed Severus a little bit closer to James.
No
No, never.
He'd rather kiss a house-elf than hug James Potter.
What's the point? There was no reason to hug his enemy.
"I'm sorry, but no. He's- no, that's not possible, no way!", Severus said panically, wriggling his face in disgust when he saw James' sleazy smile.
"So you're giving up on your task? Because you're scared to hug Potter?", Dumbledore asked disappointedly.
Hugging James Potter.
Last task.
Severus didn't understand a word of what Professor Dumbledore meant. What did one have to do with the other? And most of all ; Who's creating such a strange task?
"I don't understand why I should make peace with him!", Severus contradicted angrily, and would have loved to hex James with another black-magic curse. Oh, how much he hated that dirty grin. The cold arrogance that glowed in his brown eyes behind his round glasses.
How James thought he was better than anyone else. Severus shivered in disgust.
No, peace was not an option.
Under no circumstances.
James sighed bored and stretched out his arms in demotivation.
"Because I want peace between you, Snape, and Potter. This horrible rivalry... Can't you see how much damage it did? This rivalry has destroyed friendships. This rivalry almost cost lives! It's important to me that such terrible things never happen again in Hogwarts. Gather up your courage and end this war with Potter.", Dumbledore tried to persuade him with a subdued voice. The warm aura, which the Headmaster usually radiated, had become icy cold.
"Come on!", James impatiently urged, still with his arms wide open, "Just hug me already, then I can go back to the common room."
The stuffy, hot air of the Hospital Wing suddenly became unpleasantly cold, as if someone had opened a window on a cold January night.
Dumbledore looked directly into Severus' pitch-black eyes. His sparkling blue eyes behind the half-moon lenses seemed frozen.

"Severus. Please."

Did Professor Dumbledore just call him by his first name? Normally, it was unusual for teachers and students to call each other by their first names. From time to time, teachers and students who were related called each other by their first names or nicknames. But that was extremely rare. It had something to do with respect, using the last name. For some reason, Severus knew that Dumbledore had not called him by his first name out of disrespect.
It felt like it has something to do with trust and hope why Dumbledore called him 'Severus' and not 'Snape'. There was no other logical conclusion. At least not yet. It was a pleasant but still frightening feeling that Dumbledore put so much trust and hope in Severus.
Someone believes in me, he thought.
Dumbledore believes in me.
Severus hesitated for a moment as he looked into James's distorted face.
A task.
The final task.
His task that no one else could do but himself. Severus took a deep breath of the cool air, which tingled pleasantly in his dry throat. Then he opened his arms and took a step towards James.
"That's nice! Oh, how wonderful!", giggled Dumbledore, jumping happily up and down.
It was an awkward and gross feeling to hug James Potter. Not even in his creepiest nightmares would Severus have dreamed of it. No wizard or witch will ever believe what I'm doing here, Severus thought disgusted. Hugging James felt like he was jumping into a frozen pond in the woods. Luckily, Dumbledore quickly noticed how uncomfortable and embarrassing the situation was for the two boys.
"Well, uhm, I think that's enough.", Dumbledore said and patted Severus on the back proudly. James quickly pushed himself away from Severus. Although they had sealed the rivalry and ended the war (according to Dumbledore) James and Severus continued to cast poisonous glances at each other.
"You smell like a wet dog, Snivellus!", James mocked and spat on the floor right in front of him, "I think I'm going to puke!"
But Severus didn't care what James had to say. All that mattered was that the last task, his task, was finally done. He had actually made it.
Because Dumbledore believed in him.
Because Severus believed in himself.
Because he had managed it to show courage and bravery.