Twelve

a/n: no joke I started writing this chapter today (& finished in about two hours) just because I was so pumped to write it. I absolutely love all your feedback, so PLEASE keep it coming!! It's so empowering amd motivating, I love you all!

Going to start dedicating chapters to people whose comments I love. Seriously, you guys are the best.

~~~~~~~~~

Twelve

Wednesday morning was not anything out of the ordinary. Instead of watching the sunrise on my walk to school, though, I watched it from the football field bleachers. It was freezing cold, and I was shivering for the rest of the day because of it, but it was well worth it.

"Alright, everyone. I'll call your name and then bring up your copy of Gatsby." Mr. Portman started class, causing everyone to take their seats.

Realizing I forgot my book at the apartment, I started thinking about where I had left it. It wasn't on my night stand, or on the kitchen table, or in my empty, unused locker.

The more I thought about it, the more I began to think I didn't even check one out in the first place. Sure enough, when Mr. Portman went through the list, my name was not called. He also seemed to notice this, and he gave me a look that seemed to say meet me after class. I nodded with a sigh.

He passed out our new book, which was The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Looking at the book card before me, I was certain I hadn't filled one of these out for the Great Gatsby. I wrote down my book's number and my name along with the other details.

"Have the first three chapters read by Friday for a test," He told us before beginning today's lecture.

Admittedly, I had a lot on my mind, which made it practically impossible for me to pay attention. The main thing occupying my mind was my parents, but I can't deny that Ashton snuck in there a few times. I couldn't help but wonder what made him act how he did yesterday.

"Sami?" Mr. Portman called, grasping my attention as class ended. With reluctance, I made my way up to his desk for what felt like the umpteenth time in the last few weeks. Instead of starting, I waited for him to continue.

He sighed, "I really hate to do this, so I hope you know it really is a last resort. But we are going to need to schedule a conference with your parents about your attendance."

My stomach dropped at this, and I could feel the blood draining from my face.

"Your family needs to be aware that your lack of attendance is really setting you back. If you want to get in to college, Sami, you are going to need to get your grade up." I looked away, feeling all sorts of upset over this. "You have so much potential! I cannot express how unfortunate it would be to see your natural intelligence to go to waste."

I furrowed my eyebrows at this. Any 'natural intelligence' I had was sure to be small, considering I was failing English and History, my only decent grade is math.

"When did you actually read the Great Gatsby?" He asked, and I knew he must have been referring to my answer sheet and the fact that I didn't have a copy of the book.

I shrugged timidly. "I rented it, along with some others, from the library last summer." That had mainly been to keep me occupied and somewhere cool during the hot days so I didn't have to be with Anna all day.

"Well, your answers were quite insightful, considering it's been what, eight months since you read it. You got a perfect score on the assignment. Imagine what you could do if you applied yourself in the moment, Sami!" Mr. Portman tried to inspire. In fact, it was working. I felt the motivation bubbling in my throat. Then, the guilt started to come.