Twenty

Twenty

At approximately two fifty seven each Friday afternoon, it is just common knowledge that class just done for the day at Cristo High. Students are in higher spirits than they have been all week, since two full days off of school mean sleepovers and parties and whatever else they like to do.

Since it is March now, people have starting heading back to the river bluffs outside of town again, where the brave guys perform stunts off the top of the over twenty foot cliff into the deep river below (to impress girls), and the rest of the teenagers hang out along the bank and drink and dance, socializing as expected.

With Spring now just a week away, and spring break another two, the classrooms are already starting to acquire what I call a Premature Summer Vibe. Also known as the Spring Break Vibe. Everyone is antsy to leave for the weekend, and we have progressed in to the summery clothing more now, even though I still deem it to be far too cold for shorts and tank tops. The only days I don't wear jeans or leggings or sweats is Mondays, when I wear my blue sundress. Mornings are still chilly and I walk to school, meaning I bundle up each day.

I'm pretty much the exception to this rule of class being done with three minutes early. While my attendance is remarkably low, I almost dread the weekend, because it reminds me how little I have to actually do.

As for usual on Fridays, the class is out the door faster than the Black Death hit Europe, and I'm the last to leave while holding back a sigh. I smiled at my art teacher on my way out the door, and began my trek to the café.

On my way out in to the hallway, I noticed a fidgety figure down the way that captured my attention. Taking a few cautious steps in that direction, I noticed it was Isaac, fumbling around his locker and muttering words in frustration under his breath. I kept moving near him, still slow, since I was not sure how he would react to me.

Right when I got close, about fifteen feet away maybe, he seemed to hear me, as I was the only one left in the hall. At first, his eyes expressed relief, but then they quickly flickered and became closed off. I did not try to get a word in, and he stormed down the hallway and out the other side.

Shaking my head, I let him go. While the feeling of potential friendship is a rare one I have, I was not going to travel out of my way to fight for him, or any other friendship, really. Despite whatever feeling I had that we could have been great friends. Instead, I turned and walked the other way, something I typically have a hard time doing in situations like these. Once I hit the sidewalk, though, I was admittedly okay with the fact I had walked away.

"Hey, Sparky!" Turning around, I saw Ashton sticking his head out his black truck window and shouting to me with a slight grin. That smile, even the small one, was certainly a sight I could be used to. He pulled up closer to me, "Need a lift?"

I beamed at him, "I'd love one!" After I climbed up and strapped in (a necessity with Ashton's driving), he asked what time I had to be at Angel's. "Not until four o'clock, why?"

He shrugged, "Did you eat much for lunch?"

I shook my head. My appetite has been rather fleeting lately, and I didn't even bring any food to school with me. There are tubs of plastic bins in my fridge, since Jenny loves to cook when she is bored and then she puts them in my fridge for me. These days, though, my hunger has been scarce for some reason.

"Let's go to the diner then, I'm starved myself and you look like you haven't eaten in days."

"I don't have my wallet."

"It's on me."

"You don't—"

"Stop that," He said definitively, and me, not one to argue, complied. "Think of this as my way of making it up to you for bailing on your celebration last night. I'm sorry, it wasn't cool of me. My parents last minute had dinner plans and I had to watch Macy."