Fourteen

Fourteen

“What are you going to wear?” Jenny asked me suddenly while I was keeping her company behind the counter. Technically I wasn’t on duty, but I filling up coffee cups if need be and wiping down some tables that were messy. My prime concern was keeping my worries at bay.

“I have no idea,” I blankly admitted. “Do I need to dress different than normal?”

Jenny creased her brow in thought, “Do you have a dress or a nice shirt?”

Thinking of my Monday sundress, I nodded “Yeah I have that blue dress with the little flowers.” It was cute without being overly girly, being a little fitted around my waist, button up and pink little flowers all over it.

Actually, come to think of it, it is usually my Courthouse sundress. Of the several times I have had to go to court recently, I have worn this dress many of the times.

“Oh yeah! Wear that one!” Jenny agreed, knowing my simple wardrobe as well as I do.

I smiled, to make myself seem less nervous than I was, “Okay.”

Why was I even nervous? This was not something I could figure out.

“You okay?” She eyed me suspiciously.

“What? Yeah, I’m fine. What time is it?”

Jenny glanced at her watch. “Almost four thirty. Maybe you should go get dressed.”

Hopping off the stool I was perched on, I dashed up the stairs, “Thanks Jenny!” I called to her as I scaled the twelve stairs. Recently I had made a habit of subconsciously counting the stairs in the mind as I tackle them.

It was quick work getting ready. I threw the dress on without a second thought, and since I only owned the one pair of shoes – my black high tops – that was easy.

Late in the morning, Jenny came up to check on me while the other barista was running the counter, and she had French braided my hair. It looked really pretty when she did, but now it was much looser so I took it down. Now my honey hair was a little wavier than usual, so I flipped it a couple times to make the ends not stick together. There wasn’t anything else to do, so I went back down to be with Jenny.