Sixteen

This is going to be really messy toward the end, probably with a lot of typos. Extremely unedited!! I will he going back through tomorrow and fixing it and adding some more details, but I just wanted to get it up before my plane takes off! Happy readings!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sixteen

Monday, I stood before Cristo High in my light blue dress, same high top converse, and usual bag of kisses, ready to spread some sort of color to those grey halls. Since March was only a couple days away, the weather wasn't as cool as it had been a month ago, but still not that warm. Ignoring the goose bumps on my legs the early morning brought, I marched onward.

Cristo High isn't that large of a high school, so by now most people are acquainted with my Monday routine. They do not respond quite as weird when I ask if they would like a kiss. In a way, I am a little relieved, but it was entertaining to see their reactions.

For some reason, part of still anticipated Ashton to sneak up on me with his grumpiness and sarcasm, even though we were on better terms. Part way through the morning, before second period, was when I first spotted him. He was down the hall, at his locker, talking to another girl. It was surprising to see, since Ashton was not typically a socializer.

She had laughed at something he said, and his usually stoic face cracked just the slightest. Oddly enough, this made me feel slightly insignificant and bothered, and I could not find it in myself to approach him. After all, it hadn't even been two days since I poured my troubles out to him, and I was feeling uneasy over how he would treat me now.

As someone who can approach random strangers and offer them a kiss, I still could not make my way to Ashton. Instead, I turned on my heel, and walked the opposite way.

Third period trigonometry rolled around, and as for usual I was one of the first people there. This is by far the class I am lagging the most in, which is unfortunate because this is the basis for all higher level math.

The bell rang, and when the stragglers filled in, I noticed Ashton saunter in with that same girl from the hallway, taking a seat opposite the room. Quickly, I averted my eyes back to my math book as Mr. Rodgers started class.

What came as no surprise, I could not comprehend a word he said. Sometimes, we are unfortunate enough to fall so far behind that we reach the point of no return. I fear this is what my situation is in this math class, and likely my other studies as well. For a moment, I felt panic over what would come of me after I graduated next year.

"Sami?" A voice called. Startled, I jumped a little, to see Mr. Rodgers staring at me. "You with us?"

Forcing a smile, which I was sure looked as weak as it felt, I nodded, "Yes, Mr. Rodgers."

"Great," he grinned, not sounding entirely like he believed me. Turning slightly to my right, I saw Ashton across the room staring at me, but I tore my eyes back to the book nearly instantly. My cheeks were feeling warm from being caught not paying attention, so after a moment I bravely drew my attention back to the white board.

When class ended, I gathered my belongings quickly so I could make it to math. Part of me knew I should talk to Mr. Rodgers, and ask him what I should be doing, but today was not the day. Someday, though, I made a mental note to be brave enough to speak up.

Ashton was nowhere in sight when I exited the classroom, and I was not sure whether relief or sadness was dominating. Relief, because I was afraid to face him, but sadness, because he didn't want to face me.

The day passed fairly slowly, and when lunch finally rolled around I spread the last of my kisses all too quickly, making lunch drag onward. I began to wander the halls, with an unwanted but due destination, when I heard a crash behind me.