Four

Monday morning rolled around after a long weekend of nothing. Actually, that wasn't completely true. I did spend a lot of time in the park, and I even took a nap te Sunday afternoon. It turned out to be quite lovely, despite the bitter cold of the weekend.

I forced on my dress, the same one as last week, even though it was raining. Adding leggings underneath and my high tops, it helped keep me a little warmer. I also put on my hat that I knitted last year in Home Economics.

On my walk to school, I stopped by Jay's Market to grab a bag of Hershey Kisses. While I was at it, I also grabbed a Ginger Ale for lunch (since it's my secret obsession) and a couple proteins bars to get me through the school day. Making my way to the register, I noticed Charlie was working.

Charlie is a friend, though we really don't know each other well. We both work at Jay's Market, so from time to time we have a shift together.

He's two years above me, and graduated when I was a sophomore. He's been taking classes at Sac State, and depending on his class schedule he works here the rest of the time. His family lives around here, and he still lives with them and commutes to school.

Charlie is what I would classify as quirky cute. His brown hair is always nice and styled well, making him seem like he'll be arrogant, but then he smiles and it's so wide that it off sets the rugidness of his hair and replaces it with a bit of dorkiness.

"Hey Sami!" He greeted with his wide smile and voice that's a little higher than one would expect for someone of his stature. It really added to his quirky appearance.

"Hey Charlie, how was your weekend?" I asked as he rang up my items.

He nodded, "Pretty good, to be honest! And yours?"

I nodded along as well, "Not half bad."

"Ah, still doing that Hershey Kiss thing?" He grinned, scanning the bag.

"Indeed I am," I smiled back, pleased he remembered that I did that from last year, when he was one of the grey blobs floating in the halls of Cristo High.

"I always admired that!" He told me, causing my smile to widen slightly. "Alright, that'll be $8.78."

Digging in my wallet, I felt my face start to blush when I realized I only had four dollars.

This was so embarrassing, I should have checked before coming in. It was my own fault for not remembering that my wallet had been drained these last few weeks. Dealing with my family's crap is more expensive than one would think.

Not wanting to meet Charlie's waiting eyes, I mumbled a "Um, I uh, only have four dollars. Can you take the protein bars off?" As I said this, I fished out some change to avoid any awkward eye contact.

"Oh, no! I won't let ya do that! Just take it, on me!" Charlie said, his voice bright as ever.

"You really don't have to, I'll just put these back.."

"No, Sami, I insist," Charlie insisted, sincerity lacing his voice and drawing my eyes back to his.

A grateful, sheepish smile graced my lips. "Are you sure?"

He rolled his eyes with his big smile, "Of course! Now get out of here, have a great Monday!"

Laughing, I grabbed my things and left, waving goodbye as I did so.

Charlie wasn't really a blob in Cristo High's halls. He was one of the few who dared to be colorful, with that goofy grin of his.

It was kind of nice actually.