Five

The week was passing as it usually did these days. I'd go to school, not entirely sure of what was going on most of the time, and then I'd leave school and either head to Jay's Market or Angel's Cafe. Nights were typically spent sleeping on the couch in the cafe, and mornings were spent in the football field bleachers until school started.

Aside from all of the above, something else was occupying my mind, and that had to do with my cousin Anna.

My cousin is a junior, like me, and quite the social butterfly. She's not necessarily the most popular girl in the school, but she definitely has her share of followers, including her snotty friends that are also her volleyball teammates. She was really in to fashion, but since her family wasn't very well off, she usually shopped at thrift stores. And I have to admit, she really knows how to use a needle and thread to make the clothes her own.

Despite the fact I lived with Anna and her parents for awhile, she ignored me basically 24/7. Most people at Cristo High probably wouldn't even know I'm related to her.

To be honest, it was hardly like I even lived with them. I slept in what used to be my other cousin's room, but since he moved out they let me sleep on a twin bed on the floor. I left soon after waking up and was occasionally back by dinner, only eating meals with them on the nights Jenny forced me to go out and be social (which I never did).

Jenny knew I lived with my aunt and uncle, but she didn't know that they had kicked me out two weeks ago.

I hadn't talked to Anna since the incident a few weeks ago, so when she stopped me abruptly in the halls, I was surprised.

"Oh, hi Anna," I greeted her with a smile. Despite the fact she could be extremely rude, it was a bit of a relief to see her for some reason.

"Save it," She snapped, rolling her eyes. "Mom and Dad want to buy a treadmill."

"Okay?" I asked, not really sure where she was going with this.

She let out a breath, as if this conversation was a complete inconvenience and total waste of time. "Don't ask me why, apparently they feel like they need the exercise or something."

I stifled a smile, knowing full well that both my aunt and uncle were overweight and in need of some running. "But anyways, that's not the point. You left quite a bit of your shit at our house, and it's taking up space. Mom and Dad want you to pick it up this weekend."

"Oh, uh--"

"They said if you don't stop by this weekend, they're going to sell the stuff on eBay. If you want it, I suggest you come get it."

With that, she was spinning around and leaving me.

I sighed, and walked a few more steps to my locker where I pulled out my history textbook (since I decided to study during lunch today).

It really wasn't my fault I left things at their apartment, they didn't give me much notice before kicking me out. I pretty much came to their apartment one evening locked out, and my duffel bag had been on the porch.

Not even with the courtesy of a note.

The meeting with Anna happened on Tuesday, and I spent the rest of the week pondering how on Earth I was going to get across town this weekend to my cousin's place. I don't have a car, and it would take forever to walk there.

Thursday night, working at Angel's Cafe with Jenny, I realized I wasn't the only one that was out of it. Something was off about her; she was acting extremely suspicious.

"Are you okay?" I finally asked her.

"Me?" She replied, seemingly surprised by my question.

I laughed, "Yes you! You seem tense, and a little paranoid."