Thirteen

dedication: marytpearl for the lovely comment and constant support through my stories!!! <3

~~~~~~~

Thirteen

I squinted my eyes as I woke up, stretching my arms out as well. Opening my eyes, I was welcomed with the darkness, and my clock read 5:45 am. Then, I realized I didn’t remember settling in to bed last night. That’s odd, it might have been the flu exhaustion.

Leaving the warmth of my bed, I figured I should take a warm shower to test how I’m feeling. The aching pains were gone and I wasn’t feeling weak limbed anymore, so that was certainly a good sign. I was feeling fresh, and ready for the day now, deciding to bear with my tiredness and go to school. After all, I missed two days of school this week, so I do need to make some sort of effort.

I got into comfy leggings and Caleb’s Stanford sweatshirt, slipping on my converse too. There was still plenty of time until I needed to leave for school, so I curled up on the couch with a blanket, hoping my hair would dry in its natural loose waves before I went out in to the chilly air.

When I finally decided to head out, Jenny was in the café.

“Good morning, Sami! Are you feeling better this morning?” She asked worriedly.

I nodded with a smile, “Yeah I’m feeling much better.”

“You’re such a trooper,” She grinned. “Here, I made you some breakfast,” She offered, handing me a wrapped baked good and a drink in a to-go cup.

I gave her a grateful smile, “Thank you, Jenny!”

“And this is for the sulky guy,” She said, handing me another small bag.

“Sulky guy?” I asked, confused.

“Handsome? Tall?” She tried, and then it clicked.

“Oh, you mean Ashton,” I nodded.

“Yes, him! He’s in the bathroom!” She said eagerly.

“Why?” I asked, confused. She didn’t get to answer because Ashton came sauntering over to us.

“Good morning, Sparky,” He greeted casually. “You feeling any better?”

I blinked at him, wondering why he was here. Was that concern in his eyes? I quickly disregarded it. “Yeah I am, what are you doing here so early?”

He shrugged, “To give you a ride.”

“Oh, uh, okay, well thank you,” I smiled, confused but grateful for the gesture.

He waved for me to follow him, “Let’s get going. See ya, Jenny,” Ashton said to Jenny when I made my way around the counter.