Nine

There was a very good chance this would end in turmoil.

At the same time, there is still the small possibility it could end well, right?

With that attitude in mind, I sucked in a deep breath and approached Jenko's booming house.

I had not ever been to a party and it is not my cup of tea, but I could tell that Ashton was very right when he said Jenko throws slamming parties. The music was so loud outside the house that it already felt as though it was making me deaf, and I heard the sound of a crash inside that was followed by a loud chorus of hoots and hollers.

Were there even strobe lights in there? Gosh, this party was really going strong.

How did I end up here? That's a logical question.

I didn't anticipate this happening. After my small squabble with Ashton, I planned to forget about him for the weekend and go to the football game and the diner. However, when I went to eat before the game, I found I was unsettlingly full, even though I had not eaten much recently.

I found myself wondering why I even cared what Ashton did. After all, he has been almost nothing but unkind to me, with a few rare moments of smiling. It just does not make sense why his well-being is occupying me so much. Perhaps it is just my tendency to care about others too much. Heck, I hardly know him yet I am concerned he is ruining his life with this excessive partying.

My stomach was so upset by the time I forced down my cheeseburger that I couldn't even go to the game. I actually did make it all the way to the football field entrance, but that's when I decided to turn around. I couldn't let Ashton possibly make some really bad mistakes.

Instead, I went to the grocery store, where I knew they had a phone book, and looked up Jenko's address. Thankfully Jenko is not a common last name and there was only one in this area. It took me awhile to find it, but, eventually, I did.

Jenko lived in a prestigious part of town. His house was a giant two story that had that castle looked mixed in with some classy stones. If there hadn't been trash all over the lawn it would have been spectacular.

I approached the front door and lifted my hand to knock. I then realized how entirely pointless it was, as it was impossible for anyone to hear my knock from inside. Someone slithered by me and opened the front door, and I timidly trailed in behind.

Okay, I'm here to make sure Ashton stays out of trouble. Then I'll be on my way out. That's it.

The stench of alcohol soon became overwhelming, and I had to concentrate on not breathing out of my nose. It is beyond me how people can drunk something that smells so vulgar. Add that with the strong odor of sweat in the crowd of people. I was going in to sensory over drive.

Finally, I made it to a slightly open area, and started to survey for Ashton. It was fairly useless, since this house was so big and I was just one small person amongst the hundreds here. Noticing a barstool that was vacant, I climb atop it so I could see a little better. I didn't realize it was a swirling one, though, and after a few seconds I came tumbling down. Instead of hitting the ground though, someone had caught me.

"Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry," I began, looking up to see a fairly good looking male. What struck me about him most though was that he had a beard that made him look twenty.

He curled his lips into a crooked smirk, "Ah no biggy."

I gave him a faint smile and a thank you before excusing myself.

"Hey wait, I haven't seen you around, you come here often?"

"Uh, no. No I don't."

"Figured, you stand out like a fly in the milk here," He chuckled.