Chapter 21 - It's Hard Again

Chapter 21

Carter-

Why is it that life can be such a jerk at times? Why is it, when you want it most, it's not there? It's a confusing thing, life.

And sometimes we don't realize it. We don't realize that when we do things that effect the ones around us we're implanting on them forever. They'll remember us as those people who did this, or did that. It's an odd thing, but it's worth the while to think about, because why not?

And why not try to make a difference, a difference that might impact on someone you care about. Like just talking to them about their worries or problems. But then there's the part where after, and if you're older, and it's almost your time, you pass, and they won't have someone. They won't have someone to talk to anymore, just a wall to stare at.

And that's what I'm thinking about. Not having someone. And that someone is Dad. I need him to talk to. Of course it's not his fault, nor his choice, but it still hurts. And of course, grief hurts, and even if that means not talking to anyone. Or using minimum words.

"What about this?"

I shrug as I look at the photo of Dad and I blankly.

"Carter Shor! Come on now! Stop acting like a child!"

"I am not! I'm just not feeling the need to talk."

Ariel sighs heavily. "Which one?"

We're making a little collage frame of Dad and I to hang up near the front entrance.

"That one." I whisper, pointing at one that was of him and me when I was about thirteen; it was taken just after Jewel was born; she was in my arms in the photo.

She nods, taking it in her hand, putting in the frame, completing it.

"There." She smiles, holding it up for me to see.

"Looks good." I manage a small smile, and Ariel sighs softly, but goes out of the living room to hang it up

+++