Chapter 16 - Goodbyes and Fresh Starts

Chapter 16

Carter-

Today is the day of Dad's funeral. This is going to be so hard for Marley, and especially Mom. Her and Dad have gone through so much - having me at an early age, the "almost divorce" - everything.

Ariel, Hayden, and I walk into the funeral home, and I already feel the lump in my throat forming. I swallow it down as best as I can as we reach the front where Dad is cremated in his ern.

"I'd like a minute alone with him please," I manage to say to Ariel and she nods, taking the kids out to the lobby of the home.

"Hey Dad," I sniff as a tear rolls down my cheek. "I'm gonna miss you. Your smile and how it always lit up any of my bad days." I chuckle slightly. "And how you and Mom were always there; together.

"And how you were always there to talk to about guy stuff. But, I know there was times when I said I hated you," I pause. "But, never ever think for a second that I do. You were the best dad, grandfather, uncle, husband, and even friend, and still are. I will love you-"

"I'm still here, son," I hear Dad's voice, and my teary eyes widen as I turn around, and I see him there.

"But... but you're-"

"I know," he chuckles. "But I'm not. I'll always be here; in your heart."

I pinch myself just to make sure, but when I look up, Dad isn't there anymore. Years fill my eyes, and I can't help but them spill over.

"Guess it's true, I'm not good at a one-night stand
But I still need love 'cause I'm just a man
These nights never seem to go to plan
I don't want you to leave, will you hold my hand?

Oh, won't you stay with me?
'Cause you're all I need
This ain't love, it's clear to see
But darling, stay with me

Why am I so emotional?
No, it's not a good look, gain some self-control
And deep down I know this never works
But you can lay with me so it doesn't hurt

Oh, won't you stay with me?
'Cause you're all I need
This ain't love, it's clear to see
But darling, stay with me

Oh, won't you stay with me?
'Cause you're all I need
This ain't love, it's clear to see
But darling, stay with me

Oh, won't you stay with me?
'Cause you're all I need
This ain't love, it's clear to see
But darling, stay with me

"Carter," I hear Ariel's soft voice, and I look up. "The funeral's about to start. It's gonna be okay." She swipes the tears from my cheeks with her thumbs, and I manage a small smile, and she returns it as sit down in the front row of chairs.

Ashley-

"Now I'd like to start by saying thank you for being here today," I start my speech. "And, as I'm sure you all think, Ross was a very good man. And yes, he may have done some things to tweek that a little," this makes everyone chuckle. "But he'll always be remembered as a very talented, handsome, and great dad, grandfather, friend, and husband. Thank you." I swipe a tear away as Jewel comes to help me walk down the steps from the podium.

~~~

I watch Carter across the room, as he smiles and talks to his cousins and elders.

"You miss him don't you?" Ryland sits beside me at the table where a white table cloth covers it's surface. "Yea." I sigh, but smile at my brother.

"But you know," I add. "I wouldn't ever trade for anything but what has happened." He nods, draping an arm around my shoulders. "Yeah. But I'll miss having him to talk to."

"Remember the time that you guys finally told me about you two finally," he teases, smirking. I laugh. "Yeah. I was terrified. But look where we are now, Ry. I'm glad, yeah?" He nods, kissing my temple softly.

"And that other time when..."

"Oh no you don't!" I laugh, and he giggles. "Okay okay."

~~~

Carter-

"Thank you for the service today," I tell the pastor. "I'm sorry for you loss, was he your father?"

I take a look at the picture of Dad in the frame from when he was in his thirties on the table beside us. Did we look that much alike? "Yeah... but thank you again."

He nods, and I turn starting to pack up the pictures, drawings I'd made him when I was young, his R5 pick necklace that I had asked Mom to keep, and all his bracelets and things.

"Ready to go?" Belle comes beside me, and I realize we're the only two in the room. "Yeah. Let's go." I pick up the packed up box, and walk outside with my sister, seeing everyone still hanging around talking.

"We'll see you soon, yeah?" I say to Belle, and she nods, and I put the box into the car, then I turn around, hugging her. "Never forget that I love you, okay? And you'll always stay with me right?"

"Never. And always." She smiles into my shoulder, and I kiss her hair, afraid if I let go that she'll get away too.

// (( hey! Okay so the sad chapters are done now. And it'll be happier now :)

But now that finals at school are done, I'll be updating more. Promise x

-ash xoxo )) //