Unwanted Dreams and Broom Closets

"I know something you don't know," Sirius told America in a sing-song voice, strolling into the empty common room.

    "Tell me this second," she said impatiently, but Sirius' grin only widened.

    "Is Lily perhaps missing a glove?" he inquired casually.

    America thought back and her eyes grew wide in fear. "James has it!"

    He bit his lip and nodded, giggling mercilessly. "Mmm yes!"

    "How do you know?" she demanded.

    "I saw it."

    "Where?" she asked, taking a seat by the fire.

    "In his pocket."

    "All this time?"

    His grin widened. "Yes! Isn't it romantic?"

    "No." She crossed her arms over her chest and huffed. "It's horrid."

    "I thought you'd be happy."

    "At the idea of anybody coming to take James away?" she asked incredulously. "No thank you."

    "You'll feel better about it when somebody comes to take you away."

    "I'd like to see anyone try."

    "I would like to see someone try as well." Sirius sighed and got up. "I have to meet Remus in a bit, so I'll be off."

    America shrugged. "Remember, meeting at midnight."

    Sirius nodded before heading off. He lingered for a moment to stare at the back of her head. It was getting ridiculous.

    The only reason, Sirius thought, that America had caught his eye in the first place, was because he didn't seem to catch hers. She just didn't seem to be interested in him in the slightest. She wasn't rude or anything, but she treated him like every other guy. And it drove Sirius crazy. Remus said that was the only reason he wanted her as much as he did when he had told him in confidence of what was happening. She was the only girl who wouldn't giggle or blush fifty shades of red when he smiled at her. He had once heard her refer to him as a brother. A brother, for crying out loud! He had tried everything to get the slightest reaction out of her, flirted, teased, charmed, even went out of his way to sometimes touch her shoulder when he knew she was stressed, but she never spared him a glance.

    And that was why he blamed her when he caught himself staring in class. Yes. Exactly. It was all her fault It was her fault that he noticed her in the first place. How he realised she looked absolutely lovely when she was concentrating on something, or listening carefully whenever anyone spoke. It was all her fault, and that was why he wanted to both bash her head on the ground and kiss her until she was breathless. Ugh. Even thinking about kissing his best friend's sister made him feel disgusted with himself. Sirius was sure he would puke. It was awful! It was horrid! Terrible! Appalling! And the worst part about it was that once he had started paying attention to her, he couldn't stop.

    Once you had a taste, it ate you up inside and you couldn't stop. It was like the jurda parem, a drug in a book he read about six psychotic, mentally ill, gay teenagers breaking into a prison to kidnap some guy with weird kinds of witches and a pale boy with a cane and gloves who liked to rip people's eyes out of their sockets in boats.