My Girlfriend's Short Attention Span

TW! self-harm is discussed in this chapter

America's bad mood didn't stay long, while Remus' started persisting for most of the weekend, though they found it quite easy to ignore as they spent most of Saturday and Sunday studying for Potions on Monday, the exam to which America was looking forward most.

       "Pepperup Potion."

       "A Pepperup Potion is designed to improve health, relieve coughs and colds, though it does have one major side effect: it causes steam to dribble from the patient's ears for several hours afterward. It is also used to quickly elevate body temperature."

       "Skele-Gro."

       "Skele-Gro is a medicinal potion that can regrow missing or removed bones, though it tastes terrible and the process is very slow and extremely painful."

       "Veritaserum."

       "Veritaserum is a very powerful truth potion. The name 'Veritaserum' derives from the Latin word Veritas, meaning truth. Three drops of this potion are all that is needed to force anyone to respond to any question with the truth," she recited out of memory, and Remus tugged on her hair. She sat on James' bed in his dorm, while Remus braided her hair and helped her study for the Potions exam.

       James groaned and told them to shut up after she reminded him about the test. He was lying on the floor holding a necklace in the air, watching it sway back and forth over him.

       "Evil, he is," Sirius said bitterly.

       "Mm . . . you are not exactly straining yourself, though, are you?" America mused, looking over the top of her Potions notes at the giant castle of playing cards he had made.

       She saw Sirius roll his eyes, and Remus laughed.

       "Do people think I'm a jerk?" she asked them.

       "Someone called you a jerk? Who?" James slammed his hands on the floor like he was ready to stand up and fight whomever she named.

       "No. Nobody did. Just something I heard someone said today."

       "Well, what did they say?"

       She smiled. "He was surprised I was talking to him. Acted like I never had before."

       "Have you?"

       "Well, not outside of class or anything I suppose . . . But that's not the point. I don't purposefully ignore him. I'm not rude or anything. Am I?"

       "No . . . You just walk down the hall like you know exactly where you're going." Sirius shrugged.

       "But I do know exactly where I'm going. Doesn't everybody?"

       James pointed a potato chip at her. "But other people take their time getting there. You know, by talking to other students like they actually like them."

       "I like, people." She circled a carrot stick in the air. "I did that whole quidditch thing with James, and I did the spelling bee last year."

       "That had nothing to do with liking him and everything to do with the fact that you needed to win at something." Remus sighed.

       She narrowed her eyes and bit into her carrot. "Fine, you're right. But Jack! What about him? I dated him last year. And Miguel before him."