Don't Mess With a Potter or She'll Put a Fish in Your Bed

An hour later, just after everyone except James sat down for supper, the screaming began.

     Euphemia actually dropped her spoon; James' shrieks had never had a more terrified tenor.

    America didn't even pause as she placed a spoonful of chicken noodle soup between her lips and the whole table stared at her, blankly waiting for an explanation. "He's fine," she said, delicately wiping her mouth with her serviette.

    The rapid patter of feet thundered overhead, signalling that James was racing toward the steps.

    Fleamont and Euphemia both half rose in their seat at the same time and exchanged worried glances. "Perhaps I should—"

    "I put a fish in his bed," America said, not quite smiling, but nonetheless looking rather pleased with herself.

    "A fish?" Regulus echoed.

    She turned to him and her eyes twinkled with delight. "Very well, it was a rather big fish," she mused and after a moment, shrugged, returning to her soup.

    The tadpole in his mind quickly grew into a toothy shark, and he found himself choking on air. "Er," Fleamont couldn't help but ask, "where did you find a fish?"

    "Gogo," she said as if the house-elf handed out large trout every day of the week.

    Euphemia and Fleamont forced themselves to sit back down. They weren't going to run to save James. They wanted to; they did possess the odd paternal instinct, after all, and he was shrieking as if the fires of hell were licking at his toes.

    But their son had made his bed; now it was time to lie in the one America had stunk up for him. Sirius dipped his spoon in his soup, lifted it a few inches, then paused. "And what did you place in Peter's bed?"

    "Nothing."

    He quirked a brow in question.

    "It will keep him in suspense," she explained coolly.

    Sirius cocked his head toward her in salute. She was good. "They'll retaliate, of course," he felt honour-bound to warn her.

    "I shall be ready." She sounded unconcerned. Then she looked up at him, straight in the eye, momentarily startling him with her direct gaze. "Don't you doubt that."

    "Dad!" James yelled furiously, stomping downstairs.

    "Whatever can be the problem?" Fleamont asked, giving him a pat on the back for good measure.

    James simply glared and pointed one furious, shaking finger at America. "It's her," he said as if referring to the devil himself.

    "Your sister?" Fleamont asked.

    "She put a fish in my bed!"

    "And you dumped flour on her head," he said sternly, "so I'd say you're even."

    James' mouth fell open. "But you're my dad!"

    "Indeed."

    "You're supposed to take my side!"

    "When you're in the right."

    "It was a fish," he yelled, frantically throwing his arms around as the table watched blankly.

    "So, I smell. You'll want a shower, I imagine."

    "I don't want a shower!" he roared. "I want you to punish her!"