11.1~ Sophomore

09.05.23

Dear Diary, today is the first day of school. I'm really regretting my decision now.

One thing I've learned throughout the years is how to manipulate. I never like using that skill- I only use it when I need it. It was actually kind of scary, knowing how gullible Susan and Davis really are (I'm one to talk, though, people trick me all the time). But the whole time I thought... I would find out what their dirty little secret about me is.

Seriously, what was I thinking?! Now I'm stuck! Otherwise, I'll be giving the boys the satisfaction of knowing I chickened out. I can't stand the thought of them being right.

I'll just have to hope this will be different from my past school experiences. It has been a long time. High school should be different. I've matured. And since the boys are in different grades, we shouldn't see each other that much, which lowers their chances of ruining my first day a little. Just a little.

I just have to not get into fights or hang out with 'problematic' people (people like me, basically) and I'll be fine.

Sincerely,

Diana.

I put down my pen and went to my mirror. I straightened my long-sleeved yellow shirt, which had a small flower pattern on the top right. It was nice and simple, and it combined well with the jean jacket and white skirt Susan bought me.

I looked down at my white sneakers. I really hoped I didn't look stupid.

My hair was straightened, which was a little strange for me. It was always wavy. A white flower pin kept it out of my face.

I put on my new yellow backpack and took a deep breath. Here goes.

I came out of my room. The boys were still not ready, slowly dressing themselves with zombie-like sleepiness.

"Boys, it's 7:05! The bus is coming soon, hurry up!" Susan shouted from the landing. "Diana! Are you ready?"

"Yes!" I went downstairs. My stomach flipped.

Her face brightened when she saw me. "Oh, Diana, you look beautiful."

I blushed. "Thank you."

"You ready?"

"Yeah, I'm excited."

She wrung her hands. "If you ever change your mind... just tell me, okay?"

"I won't," I said, mentally slapping myself.

Tommy and Harry soon came down, pausing when they looked at me. "What are you wearing?" Tommy asked.

"What?" I said.

They glanced at each other, grinning.

"Boys, be nice," Susan said sternly. "I think she looks great."

They shrugged. I glared at them, looking at their outfits. Susan did the same, frowning. "You're wearing that old thing?" she said, pointing at Harry's shirt.

It was a faded red shirt with 'I'D RATHER BE SLEEPING' printed in orange. It looked quite old and worn, especially with the jeans.

"Why? It's a shirt," he said.

"Yeah, but it's old." Susan headed upstairs. "I'll get you a new one."

"Oh, come on, Mom, the bus is coming!"

"I'll only be a minute! Just take off your shirt there!"

Harry looked at me. "Diana's right here!"

"So? It's only your shirt!"