29~ The Book Club

October 10th, 2023

I was sweating as I went into the locker room. P.E. was finished, and now, I had a free period.

So it was Book Club time.

I breathed steadily as I took off my gym pants. The first time I had P.E. and had to change in front of everyone, I had a small panic attack. Afterwards, I got sort of used to it, but lots of the girls liked to make fun of me.

"God, you're so lucky. You get to be skinny," one girl had said to me during the first week.

"Do you even eat anything? You're so thin," another girl said later on.

"I'm so jealous. I want a waist like that."

I hated how they made these things sound like compliments.

Granted, I had put on some more weight. 'd gained a couple pounds. But I was still 'too skinny' to avoid the comments. Either that, or the girls just got used to making fun of me.

"Hey, Sylvia!" a girl called behind me. "Come here."

"What?"

"Come here!"

A pause. Then a response. "What is it?"

"Just wanted to give you some inspiration now that you're finally working out."

My brows quirked.

"What are you talking about?"

"You should aim for that. Although, you don't want to be too flat." Giggles followed.

I looked behind me. Two girls were smirking at me. Sylvia, who was a bit overweight, sighed wearily. "Yeah, thanks." She walked away.

"That was low, Daisy," another girl commented, frowning at them.

"What? I didn't say anything. I was just giving her some motivation."

"You know what you're doing."

"Ugh, come on, I didn't say anything. Stop gaslighting me." The girls continued the argument as they left. I silently got dressed and headed to the library.

I checked my phone. The Book Club president told me she'd confirm the meeting in a GoodNews text.

Jamie (Book Club Pres.): Hi diana! Just letting u know that a study groups in our usual corner, so were going to the blechers nxt to the soccer field.

Why the bleachers? There were other study rooms in the library.

I shrugged to myself. Thanks, I'm heading right over. I turned and headed to where the soccer field was.

Outside, it was sunny, but a cold breeze chilled me. I untied my hoodie from around my waist and put it on. The soccer field was empty. I approached the bleachers, also finding them empty. I didn't see Jamie anywhere. Maybe they were on their way.

I climbed the steps and sat down, playing on my phone. It was 1:05. I decided to be patient and wait.

1:10.

1:15.

Geez, where was everyone? I checked my messages again. No updates.

Oh, my Wi-Fi went out. No wonder.

I turned on my phone data. I still didn't get a text from Jamie, but I did get a few from other people.

ihavetoomanyAPs (Thelma Williams): Hi Diana! R u coming to Book Club?

U just finished PE right?

Its getting late. U ok? Did u decide not to come?

alma_santiago2860 (Alma Santiago): Hi Diana, r u coming? Its going to end soon. Its really fun!

Remember its in the reading corner in the library

Sunflowergirl3482: Hi, Thelma. Didn't Jamie text you? I thought today's meeting was moved to the bleachers.

She saw the message and replied. What? No we're at the library

But didn't someone take the Reading Corner? My feet tapped anxiously.

Diana there wasnt any change. We're at the library rn. Where r u?

At the bleachers next to the soccer field.

How long have u been there??

My mind flickered in realization. I wanted to kick myself. I literally wanted to smash my head on the seats.

Di im so sry, I think they were messing w u. we're all here.

With an angry growl, I snatched my bag up and stomped down the bleachers, heading back inside. I still had some time before school let out.

Just as I got to the doors, I met three familiar faces— faces I loathed.

Ivy feigned surprise when she saw me. "Oh, hi, Diana!"

Ugh. "Hi, Ivy."

Lisa smiled. "Nice to see you. Where are you headed?"

"Book Club." I adjusted my backpack.

"Oh, yeah, Michelle told us you joined. That's cool." The other girl next to them gave me a once-over. "So, you're a book nerd like Michelle?"

"You could say that."

"Shouldn't you be in the library, though?" said Lisa. "What were you doing out here?"

"Um... taking a walk," I answered.

"Probably talking to herself," the other girl said.

Lisa snickered while Ivy scoffed, laughing lightly. "Oh-my-God, Miranda, don't be so mean!" she exclaimed. "Sorry. Just ignore her. She can be so toxic."

"Mm-hmm."

"Well, I hope you have a nice club meeting. Michelle will tell us all about it, I'm sure. They just started reading DNA." Ivy grinned weirdly.

"DNA?"

"You've never read it? It's so relatable for you." She looked at the other two, who smirked. "See you in class." They walked off. I went back inside the school, looking up the book in question.

It was a book about orphans.

Touché.

Although, as I read the summary, it actually seemed very interesting... Ivy was right. I could relate to this book. But I would die before admitting that to her.

I reached the Reading Corner, where a large group was clustered with phones and books on their laps. Thelma saw me and brightened. "Here she is!"

The girl I recognized as Jamie grinned, glancing at Michelle, who sat next to her. "Hi, uh..." She snapped her fingers.

"Diana." Alma glared at her.

"Diana. Sorry, it turned out that the Reading Corner was free after all. Silly me forgot to text you."

"It's fine," I said through gritted teeth. I put my bag down and sat on the floor.

"We were just discussing our last read. You happen to read Clusters?" Michelle said.

"Um, no, not yet."

"Really? Everyone reads that in middle school." She cast a cursory glance at Jamie. "We'll bring you up to speed."

So much for Dr. Cawman's bright idea.

Thoughts?