21~ Answers

Mild trigger warning: Contains themes and implications of self-harm. Reader discretion is advised.

A bright light. I groaned and closed my eyes, waiting a few seconds. My ears were ringing, but I could hear people yelling.

A blurry face hovered over me. As my vision cleared, the face became a worried Harry. "It's okay. It's okay, Diana," he said.

I inhaled, my chest aching. Harry gently took my wrists and pulled me up to sit. I looked up and saw the whole family in the attic, arguing.

"... you don't get to say that to me, you don't get to talk to me like that!" Susan was saying tearfully.

"Why shouldn't I? It's always been like that with you, Mom! You never care about us! All you care about is yourself!" Kyle's face was red, his voice cracking with sobs.

Davis was having a separate argument with Tommy while Jack responded to both. "She needed to know, and you know that! Don't you dare blame it on your brother, and don't you dare get angry with him! He did the right thing!"

"It wasn't her business! She's not part of this family!" Tommy yelled.

Curses and swears filled the air. My hands shakily reached up to cover my ears. My heart was starting to waver again. I wish I'd stayed unconscious.

"Come on. Let's go." Harry gently lifted me to my feet, putting his hands over mine to help block the horrible sound. We navigated through the divided family and to the stairs.

"I've forgiven so many things from you, Mom, but this crosses the line!" Kyle shouted. "I'm never, ever forgiving you! Ever!"

Harry led me down the stairs to my room. My entire body was trembling. I quickly went over to my bed and lied upside-down so my feet were elevated by my pillows, and started taking deep breaths.

This was way too much to bear. It was... it was horrible.

Harry took my hand as I calmed down. Right now, he was the only one in this family that seemed to care. Even in the beginning, I could tell there was some part of him that knew I was innocent. It wasn't my fault. I didn't know.

It wasn't my fault!

Harry went to my side table and brought over my cup of water. I sat up, having regained a bit of strength, and took a sip.

"Thank you," I said weakly.

He sighed, sitting on my bed. "I'm so sorry, Diana. I'm sorry it had to be this way."

"No, I... Thank you for... for telling me." I combed my hair out of my face. "Now I know... why it wasn't easy for you to tell me."

He nodded. We sat in silence for a while.

"Do you want to be alone?" he asked.

"No, it's okay. Just close the door for me, I don't want anyone else in here."

He moved to do so while I checked my phone. On GoodNews, Thelma had texted me, hey girl! U doing ok? I swiped the message away.

"You're not answering that?" Harry asked me.

I shook my head. "Not in the mood."

"Who was it?" He sat next to me.

"Thelma."

"Thelma

"Yeah. She was my bestie." I smiled. "Then after I left... well, I never imagined I'd see her again."

"What about your other friends? Like, uh... Mildred?"

"They're okay, I guess. Tony's really nice to me. And Mildred, too."