Chapter 31

When the crying calmed down a bit, the three descided to talk about everything. Still, Janus and Virgil's eyes never faultered to bring the tears to the party.

"So...? What happened...." Virgil asked, gestering to all of Patton and most of the room as Patton's eyes followed Virgil's open palms. "We...we were worried....about you," He told him, rolling his hand in Patton's direction.

Looking between the two, Patton has a choice to make. His gaze danced between the two in a terribly sad ballad. A sigh left his mouth as he stared back into the palms of his hands.

"You deserve an....an explaination.....for everything" Patton told them, his piercing, glassy eyes stared at Janus as the other just looked with a sad expression.

Janus slowly nodded before looking back at Virgil and recieving another nod. "Alright Patton,"

"The....the thing is that....I found out something that....my paren-" he paused mid word, "that Faith and Liam didn't want me to know....it was....extremely important..."

The other two just watched and listened as Patton began to continue his explaination, "It was...a condition....a condition that I have....you probaly haven't heard about it,: He rambled slightly, twiddling his fingers as he spoke, "SNDD, also known as Sensory Neuron Deficiency Disorder,"

The two looked, curiousity peaked on their minds as they looked towards Patton for a definition: "It's when I kinda...need more affection than normal people? I guess...it affects my tiredness and my um...hunger," Virgil gave a sympathetic look at him.

He remebered when he and Janus found Patton. The entire house was completely deserted and his room was absolutely bare. The thin-ness of the blanket that was drapped over him. He was cold.

As the two sat down by Patton, he took this as a signal to continue, "Um...I guess I left the VHS tape in there and...and...." A shaky breath barely let him breathe, "And they yelled at me.....they......the next time I woke up....I was still there but.....they weren't," He said, looking up at anywhere other than Virgil's and Janus' face.

He didn't want pity.

"I...didn't know what to do....I went about....thinking they might come back," Patton gravelly chuckled, his heart falling in his chest as he lifted the words off of his heart, "Maybe....maybe I knew....deep down, they didn't want me," Tears prickled at his eyes as he forced a faultering smile upon his face.

They didn't know what to say. But Janus just shutdown. He's been friends with Patton for...forever. He knew this but....but hearing him actually say it hurt. It hurt to see someone who knows they aren't loved by their parents yet still calls those parents his own.

"Patton....I-I didn't know...." Virgil stuttering, his eyes widened at Patton's statement.

"I know..." Patton reassured him, patting Virgil's hand gently. "I went to school like normal....but you all were so busy....I-I wanted to tell you...." He stuttered looking directly at Janus.

Only now had he noticed that the scar on his face wasn't washed away by foundation. He looked like himself.

A small smile twitched upon his cheek, "After a few weeks...I realised that they weren't coming back.....they'd abandoned me...." He began, "Sometimes I even thought it was for the best!" Patton laughed awkwardly by himself.

"Then...one day I just....shutdown, completely," Patton ended as he tucked his legs up to his chest and resting his chin upon his legs.

His shoulders felt slightly lighter than before as he lay back comfortably. Sighing, he felt tired again. But not like before. He felt tired like normal people.

Forming the words in his mouth, Virgil began leading the converation, "You....no one deserves that...." He stated, "Those people....they didn't deserve you, they never have," No one dared to say differently.

Their attention flicked towards a breath, sharper than a knife. Janus finally processed everything Patton had said.

Collapsing onto Patton, Janus cried. Blubbering under his breath: "I'msorryI'msorryI'msorryI'msorryI'msorry," over and over again, barely taking a breath in between.

Barely knowing how to react, Patton slowly placed his hands on Janus as he cried just quietly replying with only five words: "It's alright, you didn't know,"

"Um...What will happen to you now?" Virgil asked, shifting uncomfortably in his seat as he leaned onto the arm of the only chair in the room.

"I...." Patton thought for a moment. Orginally he'd thought he'd just stay in that house but now....now he wanted nothing more than to leave it, "I don't know,"

"Well...if you don't mind we could..." Virgil fumbled over his words, "We um...have an extra room if you want you could....you could come live with my family?" He finally said.

Patton was taken back by the offer. But what would happen with schools and stuff?

"I know what you're thinking....We could track down your...um parents and ask them to sign you over to us?" Virgil mumbled, not even knowing if what he was saying was correct or if he was just spouting nonsense. "I just....want you to be happy..."

He didn't even need to think about the answer, "Of course," his heart throbbed with anxieties but also hope for the future. Maybe this life wasn't so bad?

"It'll take a while but...but we'll be able to do it and...you could even be my sister and her gf's adopted son? Though that kinda would make you my nephew which sounds weird," Virgil rambled, thinking about what could be.

"Would that be okay?" Patton asked.

"Why wouldn't it be?"

~~~

4 months later: Patton had moved in with Virgil's family and they had recently contacted his parents. Right now the court is finalizing the descion for adoption.

It was now official. That last glare, that last mumbled of disgust, the last sight of Liam and Faith had been finalized.

He was offically Circe and Yumi's son. He had been blessed with a new chance at having a proper family and this time he wouldn't squander it. Well at least that's what he'd thought.

Finally he could forget about those two people and get along with his life and finally live like everyone else lived.

Virgil punched Patton's shoulder lightly, "Hey they've left, you don't need to keep staring where they stood, they're...gone now," Virgil stated. It was obvious but it still didn't set in his mind.

"Oh! Yeah..." Patton said, looking forwards at Circe, Yumi, Virgil and Janus.

"Shall we go now now squirt?" Yumi said, gaining everyones attention as she ruffled Virgil's hair harshly, but in a lovingly way.

"Get off!" Virgil complained shoving Yumi's hand off of his head.

"I'll take that as a yes," Circe interrupted stepping between them and going through her bags for the keys to they car.

After a few moments, even Yumi started to help, mumbling under her breath, "I swear if you've locked it into the car again you're calling AA,"

~~~

Later in the week, Patton and Virgil went to school like usual.

This time Janus was waiting for the two on his phone.

This time, he felt brand new. Patton Ashwell.

End Of Story. 1276 words.

Thank you for reading this far. This whole story just stemed from an idea we both had so we decided to collab

- TinyWhales13

Thank you for reading! It was so awesome to get to work with another creator. I hope you enjoyed reading this story, how did you like the mix of our writing styles? Again thank you so much - Virgil_as_a_angel