10| Word

Chapter 10: Word (Archer's POV)

I was having breakfast with everyone downstairs, all the princesses included when my mother decided to continue being nosy. "Archer, how is it going with the princesses?" she asked. 

I hate how she's talking as if they aren't here. 

"It's going okay. I have yet to speak with some of them alone," I answered. 

"Anyone you like?" 

I stared at her, appalled. 

Is she serious? 

"They're all very lovely," I said halfheartedly. 

"Girls," she said. 

They all looked up at her. 

"Today our chauffeur will take you all to Cherie for some shopping, all right? And please don't worry about the payment, just don't go overboard," she chuckled. "Archer, will you accompany them?" 

I was about to shake my head no but then I realized that if I go there, I get the chance to ask Evelyn what happened last night. "Sure," I nodded. 

After breakfast, the girls went to get ready, Chloe taking the longest as we all expected and then we left in two different cars. I drove one and the chauffeur drove the other. I had Caroline and Mila in one car with me while the other three adjusted in the other one. I preferred the company of normal princesses. 

Okay, I'm being a little bit of a dick, sorry. 

We entered the store, the ladies immediately splitting up and looking around. I walked over to the counter, hoping to see Evelyn but she wasn't there. I stood there, taking a look around in confusion. I went around the counter and opened the backdoor but she wasn't there either. 

Is she not here today? 

"Just let me know if you need any help!" 

I looked over, spotting her coming from the direction of the changing rooms. 

She was helping someone. Oh. 

She sighed, dragging a hand down her face, and froze when she saw me. She turned back around immediately and started helping customers, avoiding me very blatantly. She helped Carol and Mila select a few dresses, but when all the princesses had entered changing rooms, she had nowhere and no one to hide behind. 

I stood in front of the counter, waiting for her to walk over. 

She walked around it, taking her seat. She grabbed a notepad and started making some sort of list, ignoring me. 

"Hello?" I said, snatching her pen out of her hands. 

She looked up at me silently. "Can I help you, your majesty?" she asked. 

I watched her with narrowed eyes. What did she see? "Did you go to the lake last night, Evelyn?" I asked. 

She was about to answer when her mother called her. She stood up and went inside, coming out with at least six dresses in each hand. She quickly placed them down, her fingers cramping up by their weight. She shook her hands before turning to me. "One moment, please." 

I nodded, waiting while she hung up each of the dresses in their designated locations. 

She came back, sitting in the chair. She looked around the table for something. Her hairband? Hair tie? What you tie hair with. So, hair tie. She stood up and flipped her head over, gathering all her hair and magically putting it into a ponytail. She looked at me. "I did go to the lake last night," she answered.