41| Love

Chapter 41: Love (Evelyn's POV)

The time until the ball flew by. And for the past three days, I've been avoiding Archer. First, I was avoiding him because I realized I was crazy in love with him and it made me nervous. And then I avoided him because I saw him kissing Chloe. 

I haven't told anyone, I have barely come out of my room too. It happened three days ago in the middle of the night. I was sleeping in his room and in the middle of the night, he woke up and left the room. I didn't react and thought he might have heard something, so I tried going back to sleep. When he didn't come back for at least twenty minutes, I stood up and eavesdropped. 

I recognized Chloe's voice immediately and Archer wasn't talking as much. After their voices got a little louder, I was able to understand that they were arguing. And when I peeked out, she had him against the wall and was kissing him. And I was so confused and had no idea how to react. I thought I was dreaming. I silently climbed back in bed and forced myself not to cry. A while after that, Archer sneaked back in and lay down beside me. 

The next morning, I pretended to be asleep until he went to shower, and then I ran out to my room. I stayed there for the day, my food was brought to me, and every time Archer came I would either pretend to be asleep or I would go into the bathroom. I have no idea what is going on between us anymore and I don't know how to handle it anymore. It's too much. 

That's cheating. 

What hurt me more was that he didn't tell me about it. It was very hard staying here and ignoring him, but I managed. I don't know if I could do it tonight. I put my hair in a sleek high ponytail and then stared at my reflection in the mirror, feeling very disappointed in myself, in Archer, in life. 

I put my hands on the table, ducking my head down and trying not to cry. There was a knock on my door and I went to answer it. 

To my surprise, it was Lucas. "Can I come in?" 

"No," I shook my head, stepping outside. "I don't want you in the room, we can talk here," I mumbled. 

Where Archer can hear and see.

"Are you okay?" he asked, looking at me in confusion. 

I nodded. 

"You seem a little... sad. Are you crying?" he asked, lifting my chin up. 

I swatted his hand away. "No, I'm just tired. What do you want?" 

"I'm worried about you. You come to the backyard every day, you've been inside for three whole days. And... I wanted to try apologizing one more time." 

"Don't bother," I sighed, leaning against my door. 

"Evelyn, you look exhausted, are you sure you're all right?" His eyes had nothing but genuine concern in them. 

"I'm not all right," I shook my head. 

"What happened?" He took a step closer. 

"Forget it, Lucas. Please, just forget it." 

"Evelyn," he sighed. 

I sighed in defeat, hugging him. He hugged me back, rubbing my back slowly. "I want to go home," I whispered. 

"But you're with the prince," he replied. 

"I don't know what's happening with the goddamn prince," I groaned, pulling back. "But I have to get ready for the ball." 

He nodded. "Will you be okay?" 

I nodded as well. I stared at him for a minute. "I'm sorry for being so rude. And I... I forgive you," I shrugged.