Chapter 4: Stand Your Ground

Copyright © 2020, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad, it has been plagiarized. 

The tour of Leslie's house had been nice. It was short and direct just like he could be at times. Janessa was pleasantly surprised to learn that the house stretched back farther than she had initially noticed and that the back portion was partitioned off as a duplex for Lana's residence. Lana had gladly taken her for a visit in her living quarters and they had ended up spending a majority of the day talking like old friends. Janessa had kept her word and educated her on narcolepsy. In between the school like lecture, Janessa made sure to sprinkle in a few hilarious stories to keep her entertained.

It was all worth it, especially when Lana pulled out the photo albums and she was able to ogle at an adorable Leslie. From birth until adulthood, he was a beautiful boy. The pictures made it obvious that he was very much so loved by everyone. Photographically, she was able to witness the gradual degradation of his eyes. She had "met" Natalie as well. She was an adorable little one. It hurt her heart that she had died right before her second birthday.

"Lana, you make beautiful babies," Janessa complimented, eying a photo of Leslie and his father attempting to plant some kind of tree. He looked about eight in the photo and he was covered in more dirt than the roots of the tree. It was a beautiful photo.

"Thank you," Lana softly chuckled. She gazed at the albums, page after page reminding her of love and laughter. It also caused her old insecurities to creep back up on her unexpectedly. Her confidence as a mother had shattered. Ever since she was a child, all she wanted was to have a happy family and loads of children. When Leslie was born, he immediately became her world. Her heart shattered learning that she had passed on the recessive genes for macular degeneration. It wasn't too hard to mend knowing that her husband had done the same. But when their daughter was born with her defect, Lana began to suspect that her eggs were defective.

She blamed herself so much that her fears nearly ruined her marriage. It had been a dark time for her. But Judah, god rest his soul, had been a true angel. He had loved her through the dark times. Although they had both wanted more children, Lana had refused. She had been too afraid to try again. They often spoke about adoption, but once Natalie passed away, their hearts took much longer to heal, and eventually, Judah died, taking their hopes of a larger family along with him.

In spite of it all, Leslie had remained a happy child until the demise of his grandfather. That was his breaking point. No more smiles. No more funny jokes and comedic behavior. No more laughter. From a very young age he understood the meaning of loss. Lana often wondered if she had done a good job of protecting him from the pain, but seeing the bitter man he had become told her otherwise. She had once again failed as a mother. She cringed, absentmindedly rubbing her chest as she heaved a sigh.

It was too late to go back and make changes now. Her life was about to end. Her solace lied in knowing that Leslie was still young. As she liked to tell him, as long as you're breathing you can make that change, take that giant leap of faith, forgive, and learn to grow. Although his heart is closed off, he still has so much potential. She might not see that change, but she knew that Janessa would. Her son had become closed off because his heart couldn't handle any more hurt. It was his defense mechanism, but Janessa could be that healing salve if he'd only let her. She saw great things for them.

"What's that sound?" Janessa inquired, her head gracefully lifted from the photo album as if to give her a better vantage point to hear the sound of sweet music. "Is that piano?"

Album put to the side, Janessa was already on her feet heading in its direction as if bound by a magical spell. Her plump lips were gently upturned on her face, her eyes lifted at half mast while her head swayed as if stroked to and fro by a welcoming breeze. "That's him," Lana smiled, joining her side. "Let's have a look-see."